Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2012, 9:47 AM   #1
Default Looking for SDXC and extended record times

Hi everyone. I found this site today and it seems like there is a lot of knowledge in the community. I'm hoping someone has the knowledge to help with this question.

I want to purchase a pocket video camera that meets certain specs. So far I cannot find one. This is what I want.
  1. Pocket cam style.
  2. SDXC card compatible.
  3. 1080p 30 or 60fps okay.
  4. Extended recording times of 6 or 8 hours.
The extend recording times is the feature I cannot find in a pocket camera. I would prefer to use an extended battery or external battery. I would be content to use a/c power. Switching out and recharging standard batteries every hour or two will not work.

I have a Kodak Playsport Z3 which I really like. Even though it is not SDXC compatible, it would still get me by if only it operated on a/c power or had an available extended battery. Sadly it does not.

If anyone can suggest a good candidate I would really appreciate it.
PeterRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Well... With Cards using a FAT32 file system (like most cameras have used in the past), you're limited because that file system only allows file sizes up to 4GB, which limits the length of a single recording unless you split it up into multiple files.

Using SDXC Cards gets around that problem, because manufacturers are using a new eXFAT file system with that card type, without that 4GB file size limit. They also allow larger than 32GB cards (whereas SDHC was limited to a max size of 32GB, with a max file size of 4GB).

But, there's yet another issue involved. Digital cameras that allow a recording time of more than 30 minutes are classified as video recorders under EU tariff law, where distributors are subject to higher import duties if the cameras are classified as video recorders.

As a result, you'll usually see Digital Cameras designed so that they're limiting the maximum recording length to 29.x minutes, even if they're using a newer SDXC card in them with an eXFAT file system supporting more than 4GB file sizes, because they're designed to keep their cost down in regions applying the higher import taxes and duties to cameras capable of longer recording times.

Of course, you can just make more than one recording when you reach the 29 minutes most of them are limited to for a single video file. In other words, just start another video when you reach the max allowed time.

There are probably some newer cameras models around that can take longer video files if they are using SDXC cards (despite the higher import duties applied in some regions).

But, I haven't personally kept up with the ones that do. So, hopefully some of our members that know more about cameras that may allow longer video recording times will chime in
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 10:10 AM   #3

I thought cameras divided recordings into segments for file size convenience. Interesting point about the EU law. I am in the US though.

I can even live with the 32GB SDHC limitation if I have to. It's powering a camera for long periods that seems to be the hardest part. Oh, if I want a pocket cam that is. Which I do.

Old May 11, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4

Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I would be content to use a/c power.
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
it would still get me by if only it operated on a/c power
Maybe I misinterpreted you, but if you accept having your camera plugged to the power outlet for those extended periods of time (which obviously reduces your movements to the length of the power cables), then you can find a lot of adapters that allow you power your compact camera directly from AC power on the wall.
The key is the "DC coupler" which fits in your camera where the "normal" battery would be and has a socket that allows to connect the cables of the AC adapter to it. Confused enough? Here's a "diagram":
Power outlet (wall) -> AC power cable -> AC Adapter -> DC power cable -> DC coupler (inside of camera, where the battery would normally be)

This is an example of such a kit (there are many more):

Is that what you're looking for?
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 1:16 PM   #5

Yes! You got it right. I never thought of a DC coupler. Unfortunately I did not find one in a quick search for the Kodak KLIC-7004 battery (My current camera battery), which I understand is a common battery. But knowing that I can start looking at others.

I also contacted JVC by email to see if their Picsio GC-WP10 will operate on ac power. It does just what I want, time lapse. Maybe I'll ask in the JVC forum here too.