Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2012, 2:03 AM   #1
Default Canon 300, 310, or 320

I am in a market to replace my Point and Shoot.

I already have a Pentax DSLR and I just want to replace my Canon Point and Shoot so that my wife can use it to take picture and movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DSLR, but I need a camera that can do HD video while I am shooting pictures with my DSLR.

I don't want to spend too much money on a Point and Shoot since I already have a DSLR.

My goal is to do indoor shooting in low light and video with low light and image stabilization.

Is anyone of this any good or you have better suggestion?
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2012, 9:26 AM   #2

If shooting video indoors is going to be frequent- you might want to "try before you buy"- as indoor video performance varies greatly model by model.
I'm no video expert (not even close) and you can quote i's and p's and a variety of HD's (I still use standard VGA..!) but the one thing that matters above all else, as far as I'm concerned, is autofocus performance.
Panasonic's tend to be very good in this regard,and the latest Sony's are impressive also...
There's nothing more frustrating than a wandering autofocus.....
So again, where possible, try before you buy...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 6:00 PM   #3

if you're planning to do low light shooting without flash or continuous lighting, focus and quality of pics/videos won't be very good. i wasn't too pleased with canon's handheld night mode (or whatever it was called). quality wasn't as good as panny's, and white balance tended to be off more than with regular pics and videos.

your best bet might be the canon sd4000is as it has an f/2.0 lens, which helps. my husband has this camera as his carryaround, and the faster lens does help, but still we're talking about a tiny sensor, so don't expect miracles - if you want better low light and don't want to use your dslr, there are some very small micro 4/3 cameras with pretty fast lenses at decent prices:

or maybe this body only kit - insanely cheap even for an older model
and pair it with a decent used faster lens.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote