Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Default Looking for a nice compact camera

Hello everyone,

I used to visit this forum fairly often when I was doing a lot of photography with my Kodak P850. I haven't had as much time to just get out and take pictures as of late, but I remembered the friendly community here and figured this was as good a place to get some advice as any.

In short, I still love my P850 but it is pretty bulky. I have some trips planned in the future and I'd like a camera I can easily slip into my jacket or jeans pockets just for some quick photography, but I'm completely out of touch with what the camera industry is doing as of late. So here's what I'm looking for:
-Small form factor (something like 3.5" x 2" x 1", or similar)
-AA/AAA batteries (I may not be able to access plug-ins regularly)
-Image Stabilization and decently high ISO range (I'd like to do some night photography)
-More zoom is better, I'm hoping for around 150-200mm at the high end

Maybe that isn't all possible in one package (using AA batteries seems especially uncommon) but if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, price range is somewhere between $150 and $250. Cheaper is of course preferable.

Last edited by Morag2; Jun 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:38 PM   #2

G'day Morag

pop into dpreview.com and have a look at the canon & panasonic & fuji selections of cameras > I'm sure that you'll find one to suit your needs

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:12 PM   #3

you're not going to get decent high ISO in your size and price range. some cameras do have workarounds, but you'll find that anything from ISO 400 on up is noisy in compact cameras. and as you say, finding a camera that takes AA batteries isn't easy - especially when you want a very small camera that also is large enough to fit AA batteries.

the canon sx130 is chunky, although it will fit in a jacket pocket, but it's 4.5 x 2.9 x 1.8. it does take AA batteries, it's stabilized and it has a decent zoom. image quality could be better, but it's not bad, although i haven't seen it at high ISO and feel pretty doubtful about that. i hear it's a bit lower noise-wise than the newer version, the sx150.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote