Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:00 PM   #1

Default Which point & shoot for me

Hello everybody! I would really appreciate some advice on which camera I should buy. I know zilch about photography so I am hoping the knowledgable people here can point me in the right direction. My advance apologies if my terminolgy is off.

I would like a camera that doesn't require me to take it out of auto mode. If I had to take it out of auto mode then I would want it to be as intuitive to use as an iPhone. Take it out of the box and not look at the manual is right up my alley Seriously, I squirm if I need to remove auto flash or enable flash when I disagree with the auto mode on my current camera Speaking of squirming, really good image stabilization would be necessary.

I will be using this camera to travel in Europe and would like to be able to take pictures as close to SLR quality as possible with a point & shoot in auto. I know I won't get the same quality but the closer the better It may be rainy and cloudy in Scotland and I know I will take pictures indoors and at night. Good performance in low light would be important. GPS would be handy so I can be reminded in what cities or villages I take pictures.

Taking pictures from a distance of buildings, castles and landscapes and being able to capture closer images from said distance will be important. Lastly, I would want the camera to be able to power on and take a picture fairly quickly as well as the subsequent picture. I had a camera that was very slow to take a picture or be ready to take the next picture and I hated it.

The two cameras I am thinking MIGHT be what I am looking for are the Canon SX260 abd the Canon S100. I may be way off base or there may be another option I don't know about. I'm not concerned about price at this point, I just want the right camera for my needs and that is EASY to use. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by terridiz; Jun 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM.
terridiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:52 AM   #2

Both the camera's you mention are arguably leaders in their class- and would definitely be worth consideration.
S100-
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html
SX260HS-
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...hs-review.html

The S100 will have the edge in IQ,whereas the SX260 obviously has the reach- I guess it comes down to which you value most.
Also- whichever camera you purchase- switching off the image review will speed up shot to shot time(the review of the shot you just taken)- alas,you will have to delve into the menu,but I'm sure in time,you could figure it out...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Both the camera's you mention are arguably leaders in their class- and would definitely be worth consideration.
S100-
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html
SX260HS-
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...hs-review.html

The S100 will have the edge in IQ,whereas the SX260 obviously has the reach- I guess it comes down to which you value most.
Also- whichever camera you purchase- switching off the image review will speed up shot to shot time(the review of the shot you just taken)- alas,you will have to delve into the menu,but I'm sure in time,you could figure it out...
Thank you for the feedback and thank you for the tip on turning off the image review to speed up the shots. I know that means reading the manual
terridiz is offline   Reply With Quote