Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Default Need advice on a quality compact

I've been circling the reviews for days and just when I think I've narrowed it down...
I got a Canon SX40 for Christmas and liked it but it was too bulky. I returned it and began the search for a compact that would fit in a coat pocket. The obvious choice looked like the s100 but it's too small as I like the heftier feel and stability of something a little bigger. I gravitated then toward the G12 but the specs now seem antiquated esp. when compared to the s100. I shoot a lot of macro, would like extra zoom, want really good lense and color and low light pix. Won't use the gps, won't use the raw and I'm a newbie. (the GX1 seemed a bit overwhelming.) I will consider other brands, Nikon or Panasonic esp. if they fit my requirements better. help!!
miedrichluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:54 PM   #2

If you plan to stay compact "ish" and want a reasonable zoom,low light use will be compromised- as there's plenty of glass and they use small sensors.
The G12's a good camera- but certainly not as "quick" a shooter as the S100 and certainly inferior in video mode. Maybe consider Nikon's P7100...?
The GX1 is also a fine camera- but useless if you plan to shoot macro as the closest focusing distance is 40cm...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3

My brother has the Nikon P7100... regardless of what the specs are, this is a very pleasant camera to use everyday. 28-200mm zoom range, too, which is more than you'll get with most other cameras in this class. I'd buy one myself except that I have a Fuji X10 - another camera I'd recommend. But the X10 will still run you more than $500 even with recent discounts. Which should tell you something.

Other cameras to consider: the Olympus XZ-1 and the Panasonic LX5. You can also move up a bit to the Nikon J1 and V1, which have larger, one-inch sensors. You don't have to change lenses, you can just stick with the standard zoom. But you would have the option of buying and using other lenses later. The J1 is priced reasonably competitively but the V1 adds a built-in electronic viewfinder and is more money.

And there's the Olympus E-PM1, which is quite compact, has an even larger micro four-thirds sensor and is priced in the range of a lot of the cameras listed above. The kit zoom is fine but you have a very large selection of other lenses available to you within the micro four-thirds system if and when you want them.

Last edited by Biro; Jul 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote