Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:06 PM   #1

Default Point & Shoot with Low Shutter Lag?

Looking for a point and shoot camera. Need advice. Features I'd like:

1. Low shutter lag ... at start up, between photos, when using the flash

2. 12+ mp, not more than $350, prefer something fairly compact but not too small

3. Good/excellent photo quality, decent flash (I know you can't expect much on a compact camera.)

4. Good zoom

Will mainly be used for vacations, family gatherings. Don't need a bunch of extras because I won't take the time to learn them.

A couple I'm considering include the Panasonic Lumix DMCZS 20 and the Nikon Coolpix S9100. I'm not set on these though.

Any advice?
dhaslag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:40 AM   #2

Start up times on compacts with large zooms tends to be in the region of two seconds or so- enabling extension of all that glass..!
Once fired up- the TZ-20 is a pretty swift performer- with good AF speeds and shot to shot speed of about 0.3 secs. The zoom however is quite slow in operation- with wide angle to telephoto taking quite some time- 5 secs apparently..!
With regards flash recycle times- the nikon S9100 is quite speedy- roughly ready to shoot again in about one second..!
Others to consider might be the ZS-15 (less zoom and mono audio on video- but arguably better IQ),Sony HX20v,Canon's SX range (230/240/260HS).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:35 PM   #3

I was just looking at the Sony HX20V. I'll take a look at the Canons too and make a decision. I'm not a very good decision-maker but with it narrowed down to just 4 cameras, I can surely decide. Thank you!
dhaslag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4

For what it's worth, I've owned dslr's for a few years now, and I just picked up the HX20V as a lightweight solution for backpacking and I've been very impressed with picture quality. It has 20x optical zoom which I feel is pretty good for it's size, quick start up, sweet in camera panoramic feature that works great. I haven't tried any rapid shooting, so I can't say anything about recycle times. AF seems to be pretty quick in most cases and it seems to have decent low light performance.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote