Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Default Entry DSLR vs Mirrorless vs Superzoom

Hey Everyone,
My wife and I just had our first child and we want to get a better camera. We currently have a Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10 MP that we got to take on vacations to the beach, snorkeling... Now we want something that will take better pics especially in the indoors and that is faster to take pics. I have been doing some research and I'm not really sure what camera type would be best suited. I don't think that we would be doing any RAW editing so looking for something with good Jpeg images. Also we do want something that takes quality video. With those things in mind I was looking at the Panasonic DMC-FZ150 from the superzoom category, the Sony NEX-F3 from the mirrorless, and something like the Nikon 3100 from the DSLR category. Won't be printing anything bigger than 4x6 (maybe 8x10) so how high quality do I need and what would be best?
johndorf85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:25 PM   #2

G'day John

Welcome to the Forum - there is lots of collective wisdom here.
How about you spend a few minutes meandering thru the many, many postings here describing the same subject, but posed by other people - so that you get a better handle upon mirrorless vs superzoom, then come in with specific Qs

I don't want to appear rude, but we've put lots & lots of stuff up here > make use of it
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:23 PM   #3

Hi John.
Given that you'd only be printing up to 8x10, I'd argue any of the above would do just fine.
I won't bore you with the pro's and cons of each, as I'm sure your aware of each models advantages/limitations.
One thing I will add,however, is that if your indoor work is to be without a flash, you'll get better results from the bigger sensor models mentioned- though again,with smaller print sizes the advantages will be less so...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote