Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:55 PM   #1
Default My daughter needs to record a 3 hour class but wants a camera

My daughter will be missing 4 of the 13 pharmacology classes this semester at college, including the first class. I am insisting that she have a classmate video the classes that she will miss. The class is 3 hours each day (the recording can be broken into multiple files if needed) and later transfer them to a Mac. She prefers to get a camera that can record video, but will consider a camcorder if that is the only practical option.

We are looking for the following:
  • I want to keep the cost below $200 if possible since she tends to break / lose her cameras and phones.
  • It would need a tripod socket.
  • The audio only needs to capture the professorís lecture and student questions. Donít need stereo.
  • Need the video to capture what the professor is writing on a white board.
  • Ability to zoom in a bit, I donít know how close the seats will be.
  • Video quality is not a real concern as long as she can read the white board.
  • Must be able to download the results to an Apple MacBook Pro which can use an SD card slot, firewire, USB 2.0.
Since the class is 3 hours, I would need additional batteries and a big SD card. It would be great if I could plug it into the USB on a laptop for power ionstead of buying additional expensive batteries.

How big of an SD card would be needed for 3 hours recording? I could buy extras if needed.

I have seen that most cameras can only record 4GB in a file, so I assume that the classmate would have to stop and start the recording every half hour or so.

Thanks for your help.
stickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:45 PM   #2

You should have no trouble finding a camera that will record the video you require- that being basic quality(both audio and video) and with a moderate optical zoom.
As regards file sizes and card capacities- I'm not too sure what you'd need- but if you keep the megapixels down- say 10-12mp- and shoot in VGA mode, you'll get FAR more on a card as would you shooting HD and 18mp...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote