Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:43 PM   #1
Default DLSR Pro's/Con's

I currently have a RICOH CX4....Lovely little camera, but indoor shooting is rubbish generally.
What I'm after is a camera that will capture very sharp pictures that I take indoors of family, especially my children.
The Ricoh CX4 is a very very good sized camera for me, I hang it on a langyard as the weight is very comfortable, as is the overall size under a hoody.
The 2 cameras I have read about, I have only read a few reviews then the technical side just bamboozles me if I am honest, are Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 550D.
I get that the handling has to be right for me when I choose a camera, and I care not a jot for being worried that the model I pick could be updated a few months later...Obviously for a bit more money the EOS 600D/700D/700E,etc etc would be a better buy if the features are a marked improvement over the models I have picked out, but I do not want to "Keep up with the Joneses" I just want a camera that does what suits me.
However, if I could get a compact camera that shoots very good/excellent pics rather than getting a DLSR I would be happy with one of these..I like the look of the Sony Nex series, I don't get the 3/4 micro whatevers, so anything you tell me HAS to be in laymens terms please. Alternatively, are there any tweaks I could do to my Ricoh CX4 to take very good indoor photos ?
Long question, but hopefully it explains everything you need to point (And shoot lololol) me in the right direction ?

Many thanks
skieferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:18 PM   #2

dSLRs have larger image sensors. There are a number of advantages to that. One is that the photoreceptors are bigger and more widely spaced, so you can get better photos in lower light, at higher ISO settings (if necessary) and with less noise. But larger image sensors require larger, heavier, more complex and more expensive lenses. The kit lenses that come with dSLRs don't usually take full advantage of the larger sensors, and don't generally offer the quality or the flexibility of the lenses that are usually found in compact P&S cameras.

There are other alternatives, however. Sony's RX-100, Fuji's X10, and Canon's G1X are among some very nice compact P&S cameras with larger sensors that might server your needs better than a dSLR, and at a lower price.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:47 AM   #3

Another alternative worth considering is the Canon S100, which is a compact camera with a sensor larger than most compact cameras AND a faster lens. Both these features will help greatly with indoor shooting. The S100 is almost exactly the same size and weight as your Ricoh (see http://camerasize.com/compare/#235,140) but it'll take much better pictures in low light.
The Canon S100, however, cannot compete with a DSLR in low light ability, but it's much smaller (and cheaper!) than a DSLR and it may be enough for your needs.
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:55 AM   #4

I assume the "rubbish" indoor shooting you refer to is performed without flash... and with your subjects moving around- in which case,yes,you'll certainly struggle.
Of course,if your children "pose" and you use the appropriate flash selection/mode, the results certainly shouldn't be that bad...
With regards DSLR advantages- image quality is the obvious plus point,though as Tcav alludes to- the standard kit lens usually bundled with a typical low to mid level DSLR doesn't utilise this advantage to the fullest- and you'd still need a "fast" lens for indoor work.
Their speed of operation is also a big boon- with quick start up times,fast autofocus,fast shot to shot times etc- all great for those spontaneous,spur of the moment shots.
Compact camera's advantages are in their name- Compact- and as such are very convenient- and quite often due to their "bijou" proportions are more likely to be with you at all times- whereas the bigger DSLR's quite often get left at home.
I cannot tell you how many people I know with very good DSLR's, who still chose to go out with their compact cameras.....!
They're particularly useful also in places where subtlety is required- with little noise of operation,or an intimidating big lens pointing around- you'd be surprised how peoples behaviour changes when a DSLR/large lens combo is poking around.... and much less so when a simple "point and shoot" is casually snapping away... making them ideal for candid work...
Maybe consider Panasonic's latest LX-7- with it's DSLR like modes,hotshoe if you wish to upgrade over the on board flash,super fast f/1.4-2.3 lens with 24-90mm equivalent zoom range (ideal for lower light work- and about the same zoom range as your typical DSLR kit lens), plus MANY other useful features....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote