Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:51 PM   #1
Default Best camera to film live music for under 300-400 pounds?

Hi everybody!

I'm new around here and I have a question about which one you think is the best compact camera to film live music at the moment without going over budget.

Most cameras from the main brands do a pretty decent job with the image but my main concern is the audio. I've been using a Canon Ixus 980IS and the sound is incredibly good for a little thing like that, with very low distortion even with the loudest bass. But I need to replace it because the sensor is already missing pixels and the lens is feeling its age (spectacular flaring when hit with halogen lights).

What I'm looking for is something with high resolution, a good zoom and keeping that good sound which seems to be asking too much. My main choices at the moment are the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX20V and the Canon PowerShot SX240 HS. I'm currently leaning towards the Sony because I know the DSC-HX9V has a very decent sound quality. Considerably more muffled than my Canon (apparently all the stereo mics give more distortion than the mono no matter what) but good enough and the image is great unless the light is very low.

They've also told me about the Lumix DMC-TZ20 (ZS15) but I'm not sure. I have a friend with the older brother, the DMC-TZ30 (ZS20), and the sound does saturate. It has a different microphone though. The TZ20 has a mono system, which might explain a less distorted sound.

The choice pretty much depends on which one has the best sound and second but far which one is best for dark interiors. Any other suggestions are welcome as well and if anybody has any experience, please, let me know.

Andunemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links