Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:09 AM   #1
Default 5D MKIII & 50mm 1.8 or 5D MKII & 24-105?

Hi Guys,

so i have a budget to, as the title states buy either:

-5D Mark II with a 24-105 L lens

-5d Mark III with a 50mm 1.8

I will within about 4-5 months be purchasing the 24-105 L lens for the 5D Mark III if i choose this option.

To note this will be my first DSLR. I would like to use to shoot landscapes and portraits mostly. Can't see me shooting much fasting action shots but that is not to say i wont.

Any input to an option above and a reason why would be great.

sparkyboy2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:56 AM   #2

Neither of those choices would be particularly good for anything you say you want to do.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:11 AM   #3

hi can i ask what lead you to these choices
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:28 AM   #4

thanks for the replies. Can you suggest a combination that could be good? A friend of mine has 5d Mark II and i have used it a bit but the extra features of the Mark III are appealing although the lens would not be ideal for starting out. I know this is my first camera. I like the ergonomics of Canon camera. For me they feel great in the hand. Thats not to say that will suit everyone.

This is my first DSLR purchase and spending so much money which has taken me a while to save, so its important i get the right camera for the money.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:21 AM   #5

I find the 50mm f/1.8 is great for taking multi-shot panoramas when mounted on a full frame body in vertical orientation.

Normally I pack a 17-40mm f/4 L for landscapes, bad lens range for portraits!
Or a 300mm to cut slices out of the grand landscape.

I've never used the 24-105 so can't speak for it, the range is good for portraits but the aperture is slow. You would have difficulty controlling background on portrait shots.

Canons 85mm f/1.8 might be a compromise for portraits until you could manage a fast (wide aperture) zoom that lets you control background blur.

The choice is ultimately yours on how much control you want to have when making portraits. If you don't care much about how the background looks any lens of the appropriate focal length would do!

I have seen some good shots from the 24-105.
Look at some of the images it has produced on flickriver (a good place to check out what lenses can do in the real world)

There are lots of sample shots, you just need to wade through all the shots people seem to want to post of the lens itself to get to the good stuff

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:59 AM   #6

Thanks Peter for the input
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Nothing wrong with starting out with the 50mm f.1.8. This lens has great value as far as cost to performance ratio is concerned. For a full frame camera, it is perfectly OK to use as day to day normal lens like many people did in the 35mm film camera days. It will served as a good substitution for the 24-105mm until you get one. In fact, you may like it a lot because of its light weight.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:52 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Erm. I'm confused a bit.

Buying Canon's almost top camera and putting its cheapest (and almost nastiest) lens on it seems odd to me. Go for the 50 f1.4 at least.

Then save up for some more lenses later.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9

If you can spare the money I'd opt for the 5D mkIII and a 50mm 1.4 USM. The only thing is the 50mm is a little short for portraits unless you're willing to get up close. (nothing wrong with that though...!)

As Craig said, you can always buy more lenses later.
- Jacques
Halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:26 PM   #10
Super Moderator

If you want FF then I would go for 5DmkII, 17-40, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 to kick things off. That will give a nice range and add creative ability to your shooting. Other option is to save some $$$ and go with one of the crop bodies and simlar range (remembering the crop) lenses. I would probably still have one of those 2 primes in there but have something wider starting at 10/11/12mm. I will let others suggest what is good as I'm out of touch with anything that isn't full frame.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote