Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:26 PM   #1
Default Needing to Upgrade Point and Shoot- Need Good VID CAPABILITY

Hello all,

I have a Nikon D5100 I use for fun photography, but I really need to upgrade my point and shoot. The current one I used is 6+ years old, and though its served me well- the video and picture qualtiy is disturbingly disgusting. The wife and I tend to share the DSLR when out and about, but I'm needing a point and shoot for more of my adventures. I'm leary of using it to take video just because of its cost, and I really purchased it for my wife even tho I use it more than she.

'I like to post up on youtube videos, (how-to-videos inside and outdoors) so I need something that has an "auto focus while in video" along with something "pocketable". I don't need GPS or 3D capabilities. I've always had my eye on Sony products and have never own one? Im not looking to break the bank either... Maybe $200 will max me out.

Please let me know something to go check out at the local store so I can see if I like them at all.
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Most reviews favor Canon as having the best video capability in a point and shoot camera. This is generally true in DSLR's as well. A good example of this is a comparison of your Nikon D5100 and the Canon Rebel EOS T3i. Here again most reviews show that the Canon has better video than that of the Nikon D5100. However, most reviews also show that the Nikon D5100 has slightly better "still image" quality than that of the Canon Rebel EOS T3i. This is mainly due to the Nikon D5100 having a bigger image sensor than that of the Canon T3i. In fact the Nikon D5100 has the same image sensor as that of the semi-pro Nikon D7000. It seems like Canon put a lot more effort into their cameras video capabilities than what other other manufactures do.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote