Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Switch from Canon to Nikon...maybe?

Hey all,

I'm a college student. I bought a Canon XSi a few years ago and it's been pretty good to me, but my mom lately has been talking about wanting a dslr, and I figure that it might be an okay time to upgrade/change cameras, and give her my old one. I have two lenses for the Canon, the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-200something zoom, which I haven't used much. They came in a bundle when I purchased it.

When I took my film photo class this semester I appropriated our N90s and the lenses we had (one 28mm fixed, and one 28-70mm), and I've really enjoyed using that camera.

I know that most people say Nikon/Canon are basically six of one, half dozen of the other, but does anyone have any advice? I'm probably down in a sub-600 range, and I've thought about a D90, which is about as old as my Canon but I've read that it's considered a better camera.

Last edited by Emoo; Oct 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM.
Emoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:50 PM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:05 PM   #3

I'm not really sure. I'm going abroad in January, so I'll be doing the tourist thing, but I've used my camera for stop motion work for school and I guess what counts as macro/still life kind of photos. I don't do a lot of high-speed action type shots.

I'm also interested in being able to record video to use in small compositing projects.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:11 PM   #4

Between Canon and Nikon, the T4i has the best AF for video, but if you're willing to think outside the Canikon box, Sony's is better still, plus it's got IS in the body, so you don't have to pay for it all over again every time you buy a lens. And Sony has a great selection of macro lenses and fast primes, plus a good selection of standard zooms.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:35 PM   #5

I think I'd prefer to stick with Canon or Nikon, because those are the two I've used. The T4i seems a little out of my price range, even body only, so I'll probably need to get one with mediocre video, which works alright since I don't think I'll use it too frequently. If I get a Nikon I can give my mom the lenses to the Canon, so I feel like that might be the best for me to do.

Flip-out viewscreens seem easy to snap off, so I don't think I want a camera with one. I read that the D90 can autofocus with older lenses, where the D5100 can't, even though it's newer? Those two at the moment seem the most affordable for me, with maybe a little room to buy one lens. The 5100 does have a flippy viewscreen though. Any advice between the two of these?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:49 PM   #6

The D5100 doesn't have an internal AF motor, so it only AFs lenses with their own AF motors. That's Nikon's AF-S lenses, which tend to be more expensive than their counterparts.

The D90 has a 12MP sensor, while the D5100 has a 16MP sensor. They are both very good.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:01 PM   #7

Resolution isn't much of a concern since most of what I shoot I post online, and the lenses I have don't have motors in them, so it'd be nice to get the d90 so I can use the autofocus. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Emoo; Oct 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM.