Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Bought Olympus XZ-1...need something else!

Hi there - newbie here - we needed to replace/upgrade our 6 yr old Canon P&S so I bought the Olympus XZ-1 (b/c it was $199) and was somewhat happy with the performance - but not completely satisfied. Basically I'm returning the XZ-1 for something with a bigger zoom. We mainly need a camera to take GOOD pics of our 2 children (soon to be 3). I don't really have much time to "learn" a new camera - and was hoping for some suggestions. Here are a few things we're hoping for:
- budget $400-ish
- decent zoom
- clear - good pics
- camera with no/minimal perceivable shutter lag (gotta keep up with the kids)
-lens with a large aperture (anything at and below F2.8)
As I said earlier - we mainly take pics of the kids - so pics will be both indoor and outdoor.
I've been looking at a WIDE range.....please help me choose or at least narrow it down!!!
Canon 500 IS -
Canon SX40HS -
Canon SX260
Canon 160
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3 -
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200-
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Panasonic's FZ-200
Nikon 1 J1
Sony DSC-H50
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V
Sony HX20V -
Sony a57
TeamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:31 PM   #2

Maybe look at Canon's G15...? The 5x f/1.8-2.8 lens should help for indoor/low light use and give you plenty of speed to play with outdoors for speedy youngsters- and it's almost pocketable..
The FZ-200 gives you a competent "auto everything" mode, a fast f/2.8 25-600mm lens and swift autofocus/burst modes- great for active subjects.
Something small and with great IQ and a f/1.8 lens..? Sony's RX100.
If a DSLR takes your fancy- you could do worse than the A57...
SIMON40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:45 PM   #3

will with all the small sensor cameras with more zoom. You will loose quite a bit indoors in image quality. Allot will be poor compare to what you have had. If you can live with a 5x zoom I would consider seriously on the canon G15. You retain the larger sensor for indoor stuff. And you get a little bit more zoom.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions so far.....I don't think the G15 will have enough zoom for me......any thoughts on the SX260?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:28 AM   #5

The SX260 (SX240 if you don't need GPS) is a decent little camera in it's class- with it's very large zoom,good image stabiliser and improved flash system over the older 230- though it doesn't have the fastest lens on the block- so an increase in iso will be frequent if left in auto- however,noise control on the SX260 is probably the best in its class.
Others to consider in this class of camera might be the sprightly Panasonic TZ30- with swift shot to shot times,speedy autofocus and burst modes. It also has the best lens of the bunch.
If you don't mind losing shutter and aperture priority Sony's HX20/30v might be worth a look also- again quite sprightly in operation and a great image stabiliser.

None of the above however, will be stunning in low light- expect to use the flash at all times if your subject is moving in any way shape or form.
SIMON40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You say you need a big zoom, fast aperture, good in low light, cheap. As much as we'd all like those things, they don't really go together in the same package.

You want to take mainly pictures of the kids. Is there any particular reason you can't simply go a bit closer and use the fine XZ-1 that you have now?

Have a good look at the Nikon P7700 and the Canon G15. Maybe Nikon 1 V1, which has some great end-of-life deals at the moment.

All of these are a bit out of your budget, but otherwise you are going to need to move up to one of the better mirrorless cameras or a DSLR.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:50 PM   #7

You want to take mainly pictures of the kids. Is there any particular reason you can't simply go a bit closer and use the fine XZ-1 that you have now?

The 5 yr old plays countless sports - so that is mainly why I wanted a larger (more than 5x) zoom.

I don't need the GPS (sx260) - how is the quality of the sx240 pics? Or the Canon sx40?

Last edited by TeamO; Nov 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:03 PM   #8

Default You want what everyone wants but...

It has already been said all that you want doesn't truly fit neatly into one camera. I have more than I would like to admit but it is in the teens.
The Canon SX40HS is a decent camera for what you have described and in your budget range. You will have trade offs for what you want and no one camera can deliver all that you have described. If that were the case then there wouldn't be so many cameras to choose from.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:12 AM   #9

i'm happy with my sx260 as a carry around camera. i've been pretty impressed with the performance, and the controls are pretty nice. i also really like the stabilization - when i had a zs20, i got a fair amount of blurry pics, but the sx260 pics are all sharp and clear. it may be worth mentioning that i never use the camera on auto mode, although i've been happy with the other modes.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

If you want a good sports camera you really need to get into the DSLR world. The entry-level models with a dual-kit will help you get started.

All are pretty good. At the entry level for sports I'd choose either Nikon or Canon.