Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:53 AM   #1

Default Canon sx50hs Vs Panasonic fz200

Which one has better ...

1. Image quality
2. Video quality
3. Low light performance
4. Overall performance

Does the extra (approx) $80-90 USD for fz200 worth it ?
Are there any side-by-side test images comparison of both with same settings at same time ? If asked to choose, What you will buy and why ?

Thank you.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:11 AM   #2

The Canon seems to have the better processor with regards to higher iso noise control- but the Panasonic's fast aperture kinda offsets this- enabling you to stay at lower iso's in lower light or with faster shutter speeds.
I own the FZ-150 and have owned the SX40 and both were very good with regards video performance- even though the FZ had more manual control if desired- I'm sure both the new models will be just as competent.
The Canon will yield better high iso performance- all else being equal- but as stated earlier, the Panny can use a much wider aperture in the same situation as the Canon, which offsets that advantage somewhat- and maybe even surpasses it.

The Canon's obvious advantage is the extreme zoom range- trumping the Panny by quite some way. I missed the extra zoom of the SX40hs compared to the FZ-150- and that was "only" an extra 240mm...!!

I'd suggest that if you're shooting moving subjects a great deal,I'd go with the Panny- due to it's quick AF/burst options- and that f/2.8 lens would help a great deal for sporty applications. Birders would no doubt go with the Canon... and the ability to go from 24mm to 1200mm in a second or two is quite hard to ignore- and I've no doubt that Canons image stabilizer will cope well- as has always been the case on the S/SX range...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:48 AM   #3

Adding to my confusion, I got a gift from office, Nikon D3100, an entry level dSLR. I had a chance to use D3100 and I like the image quality of it, but not sure of fz200/sx50hs. But it (d3100) lacks even the basic image stabilization feature.

I have the option to exchange it with the same or higher price(by paying the difference $) camera from the store. And I found both fz200 and D3100 are of approx same price and sx50hs is cheaper.

Please suggest me, what should I do now ? Should I keep the D3100 or exchange it with fz200 ???
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:14 PM   #4

G'day CT

As a supersoom adherent I would go with the FZ
I know panny cameras are very good packages, so "if it were me..." the FZ would be a no brainer

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:48 PM   #5

This is not so much a "camera" decision- more a "what do you want to shoot" decision.

The Nikon DSLR obviously has it's advantages- not least IQ.
The "Bridges" have the "all in one" convenience with the extreme zoom range- and they're stabilized. If you need the long zoom- the FZ or the SX might be the way to go- unless you don't mind spending quite a bit on a stabilized zoom lens for the Nikon- something like Tamron's 18-270 VC lens.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:09 AM   #6

Finally, I stopped searching at Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm kit lens by paying little extra amount in exchange of Nikon D3100 as the store has no Pana Fz200 I hope it will make me happy.