Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 PM   #31

Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Okay I guess I don't understand how you think the OP will get a good "isolation" shot with a $700 budget?
That's a different question. I've run into a lot of parents with DSLRs that are disappointed in the results for sports. Why? Because they had unrealistic expectations and people with little relevant experience convinced them a DSLR is a magic point and shoot. It's not. But, as someone who has shot sports for years I can say that technique is just as important as equipment. My intent was to address that part of things. The road to quality low light action shots is to frame tightly and expose properly to begin with - with a shutter speed fast enough. Other people have already talked about the need for f/2.8 or faster lenses. And, they're right. Which means the $700 price target might be unrealistic. If you want me to weigh in on specific lens solutions to achieve good results with proper technique, I can do that - but I need more input from the OP. The aperture requirements have been discussed. The focal length depends entirely on the distance to subject. From a technique standpoint, if you are limited in the reach of the lens you must get closer. If you can't get closer and you can't get a longer lens fast enough then you're throwing good money away. Sometimes your goals, the restrictions you're shooting under and your budget do not intersect. It's always better to know that BEFORE you spend the money
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:43 PM   #32

Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Okay I guess I don't understand how you think the OP will get a good "isolation" shot with a $700 budget?
We shot past the $700 budget a long time ago, and I think the OP knows that. Anyone that thinks they can shoot indoor sports on a $700 budget is in for a shock.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:12 AM   #33

No offence to the original poster, but what you are trying to achieve on a $700 dollar budget is unrealistic unless you buy used. For "indoor" cheerleading competition, I would suggest the same combination as other have....the Nikon D5100 with the Nikkor 85mm F/1.8 AF-S lens. I don't think you would be very happy with the results from a 35 or the 50mm lens....too wide. As for the camera body, the Nikon D5100 has a lot to offer with it's superb 16 megapixel sensor and processor (same as what is in the D7000. In my opinion, the Nikon D5100 is a far better choice than the D3100, D5000 or the D3200. As for the lens, the Nikkor F/1.8 85mm is a much better choice than any of the kit lenses (too slow) or the 35 and 50mm lenses (too wide). The Nikkor F/1.8 85mm lens will give you the advantage you need for indoor lighting and this 85mm lens when mounted on a DX-format crop sensor DSLR like the D5100 will give you an effective field of view of 127mm.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote