Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Default Compact family camera

Hello All~

I came here a while back and ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix FZ-35 based on the recommendations for what I was looking for. We have been VERY pleased with this camera, and its performance for the purposes we've needed it for. (thank you!!)

We are now in need of a basic, record keeping camera. For things like 4H, Scouts, summer camp, projects that dh builds for customers. The FZ-35 will still be our go-to camera for most things, but with it's size, it's not always convenient, and I want something I can send with the kids on their outings and not worry about it. For this I need:

User-friendly, basic camera; kids aged 9 and up will be using it

Compact: to fit in small carry-case or in purse

Durable, but not rugged. We won't be throwing it around, but I don't want a super-fragile one, either.

Inexpensive: we don't have a very high budget (under $200 would be great), and I don't want to cringe about replacement costs every time the kids use it

Video capability is not needed.

Will be used in all light conditions, indoor, outdoor.

I realize I could just run to WalMart and any camera there will probably do the trick. However, for our family $200 is a big purchase, and I do like to get the highest quality that I can for the budget I have. I know very little about photography, and everyone was very helpful here the last time I came.
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:43 PM   #2

There are plenty of basic digital cameras that cost $50-70.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote