Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:25 PM   #1
Default Good Family Camera

Hello I am wanting to buy a good family camera. I have 2 young children and I want a camera that will take good pics of the kids and that wont be blurry. I dont want to spend more then $500. I dont really know a lot about cameras but basically I am after something that will take nice pictures of the kids and good action photos because they dont sit still. I would really appreciate and advice. Thanks
Erica80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:42 PM   #2

I have had luck with my Panasonic FZ28 (there are newer models out there). It's not a dSLR, it's more of what they call a "superzoom" camera. While I do not have children, I take photos of my dogs and horses, which are constantly moving/darting around. While I still do get blurry photos, I get a great deal of sharp photos as well. Not sure if your kids play sports, but the zoom on this camera is fantastic, so if you are sitting in the stands, you will be able to get decent photos if you are not standing on the sidelines. This camera is advanced enough for you to tweak it's settings, but user friendly enough if you just want to leave it on "Auto" mode. This camera takes decent HD videos too, which might come in handy if you want to take a few video's now and then. Please note, this is not a "compact" point and shoot camera, it looks like a "mini" dSLR. However, it is light weight and comfortable for my small hands. So this is a nice camera for outdoor use, however, in doors, make sure you have enough light, as this will not perform nearly as well as a dSLR in what is referred to as "low light" situations. There is a "night mode" on the camera, which helps a little for when the lits are dim. Perhaps more recent models of my camera are better at this (I bought mine in 2009). I am not sure what the most current version is going for, but I bought mine for $300 in 2009.
PicTrix is offline   Reply With Quote