Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:45 PM   #1
Default Canon Rebel T4i, T3i, or T2i for Filming?

Hello. I want to get a camera that I can film with. I am interested in creating my own short films. I am somewhat new to serious photography and filming.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix L110 for a while now but not for filming. When I tried to film with it, I found that it limited me a lot. It lacks aperture priority mode and other features.

I have limited my options down to the Canon Rebel T4i, T3i, and T2i but I am not sure which one I should get. I have read reviews for all of them and most of them say filming with them are good but I still don't know which one I should get.

And for lenses, I still somewhat unsure about lenses. What is the difference between a 18-55mm and 18-135mm lens? I have read articles about lenses but I am still confused. It would be appreciated if someone could briefly explain lenses to me.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tornate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:34 PM   #2

Of the Canons you mentioned, the T4i is the best for videos.

As for lenses, the focal length of a lens is a measure of how much a lens will bend light. Lenses with shorter focal lengths can bend light more, and thus have a wider angle of view. Similiarly, lenses with longer focal lengths don't bend light very much, and so have a very narrow angle of view and greatly magnify distant subjects. The lenses you mentioned are zoom lenses, which means they have a variable focal length. The 18-55mm lens has a diagonal angle of view that varies from 74 20' to 27 50', while the 18-135mm lens has an angle of view of from 74 20' to 11 30'. For reference's sake, a lens with a 30mm focal length has an angle of view that closely approximates what you would see without the camera.

There are some things you should watch out for if you'll be using a dSLR for shooting video. One is that most lenses make noise when they focus, and the camera's microphone pick up that noise, so you should look for a lens that uses a silent motor. An excellent Canon lens in about the zoom range you mentioned, that has a silent AF motor, is the 15-85mm IS (image stabilized) USM (UltraSonic Motor) lens.

Another thing you should look out for is that zoom lenses for still cameras are technically called varifocal lens, while zoom lenses for video cameras are parfocal lenses. The difference is that zoom lenses for video cameras maintain the focus distance when they are zoomed, while zoom lenses for still cameras will generally shift their focus a little.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:53 AM   #3

I think as a general rule of thumb- newer model DSLR's seem to improve their movie capture ability over the previous models- as opposed to maybe little difference in still capture capability. Any of the cams' you mention are great for stills- but as TCav says. the T4i is the best for video...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote