Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:50 PM   #1
Default Specific Requirements

With limited knowledge, I am trying to purchase a camera for someone who has exacting requirements. I could use some help! Price range between $300 and $500. Large LCD due to bifocal-required vision. Image quality most important, video not really important. Prefer an auto feature, but would also like to set her up to take photography classes at local college (needing some manual controls). Zoom would be nice. Being able to take a picture and move quickly to next picture (think squirmy toddlers). Not a fan of interchangeable lenses. A simple system from a reputable company, but one that she can grow into. (Don't want to spend this much and then she find that she needs something better in a year's time.) Considering the Panasonic Lumix, Canon Powershot, or Sony Cybershot. Please send any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
AmateurWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:29 AM   #2

Maybe throw the Olympus XZ-2 (or the now cheaper XZ-1) into the mix...?
A fast 28-112mm f/1,8-2.5 lens,full manual/semi-auto and auto shooting,flash hotshoe,option to add an electronic viewfinder and a tele-converter for more zoom,tilt screen on the XZ-2,RAW capture etc...
Others to consider-
Sony RX100,Canon S110(or cheaper/older S100),Panasonic LX-7(or cheaper/older LX-5),Nikon P7700 if you want a bit more zoom and bulk...

One or two of the above might push the budget, but a good time of the year to be haggling....!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:36 AM   #3
Default Thanks

Thank you for the input, I'll look into those options!
AmateurWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote