Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:05 PM   #1
Default Another "Which one Should I Buy Thread?"

Back in 2009, I was agonizing over which dSLR to buy and through research on this site I decided against a dSLR and went with a Panasonic FZ28, since I was a total newbie. After working with the camera on and off for a few years, I have been able to discover what I like to photograph most often and what my needs are, which will be helpful when selecting a dSLR.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the FZ28 and not looking to get rid of it anytime soon. It's a handy camers that takes decent outdoor photos and records nice HD videos (I am not a video person, but it is a nice feature to have for random moments you just have to record or no one will believe you).

So I have found I like to photograph animals in action (weird, I know). My dogs are great subjects, as they are very active. I also like photographing horses, in and outside of the barn (lighting is not good inside of the barn and using a flash around horses is a major no-no). So I have experienced issues with the FZ28's slow "burst" shooting and not so great performance in low-light situations. Additionally, I have grown fond of macro photography.

$1000 (but willing to spend a bit more to get what I need)

1. Quick burst shooting
2. good in lower light situations
3. can withstand the elements to an extent, especially DUST.
4. Decent macro ability
5. Reasonably light weight, as I will be walking around with the camera.
6. Friendly to smaller hands

What I am looking for:
dSLR newbie friendly, which I can grow into. Obviously I am aware that more advanced cameras will do a better job meeting my needs.

Brand Preference:
Nikon, as my father might disown me if I bought a non Nikon SLR camera. However, if another brand can meet all of my needs, I might take that chance

Thanks so much!
PicTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links