Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Small bridge camera

Hi guys
I wanna buy a bridge camera and it has to be as small as possible. So far i've found canon sx500 which apparently is the smallest bridge in the world at the moment. I also looked at fuji s2995, s2800. The fuji is about 100 and the canon is almost twice as much. I can look up the specs and can see them in store, they are the right size. They are around 105x75x81 or smaller. I dont really want anything bigger, definately not anything above 120x90x90.

So the only question is the image quality. I cannot try them in store and the sample pics online are different, hard to compare them So if you got any of these or any other really small bridge please give your opinions.
I personally favor canon, got an slr as well, this would be for the misses. But if the fuji produces decent images as well i would probably go for that for half the price.

Thanks
vdanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:37 PM   #2

I'll be following this too!! Interested in the answers, as I can't get to the store to see them in person. I was considering the Panasonic FZ150, but it might be too big for me (and you!), although it gets great reviews.
mom2ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:25 AM   #3

My first question is, why do you need a bridge camera to begin with?
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:56 AM   #4

Panasonic LZ20,Nikon L810,Olympus 820uz.... all coming within your size requirements,or thereabouts- until they get a little excited and start to extend their lenses...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:20 PM   #5

mom2ree, if you're not planning lots of low-light shooting, you might want to try the panasonic zs20, and they also have a slightly less featured version that's well liked, the zs15. they're dinky, full featured, and nice image quality (i hear the zs15 does better in low light - my zs20 got pretty grainy at high ISOs or dark rooms).

if you can go a little bigger, but much smaller than the fz150, while not a bridge camera, the canon sx260 hs has full manual everything and does well in low light considering its sensor size, definitely better than some. i found the zs20 was snappier to shoot, but the 260 isn't a slouch, although i wouldn't try to capture action in the dark with it.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:55 AM   #6

pcake....thanks for the advice. I don't want to take over this thread, but so appreciate the responses!

I'm looking for a camera that is easy to take with me (busy mom of 3) that takes decent sports pics, (football, baseball and volleyball)as well as great everyday family pictures. Probably will need decent low-light capability and I would like at least 10x optical zoom, which is what my current camera has. Any of the ones you mention fit this bill better than another?

I love the reviews of the panasonic fz150, which is closer to my price range than the 200. How bulky is it?

Thanks again!!
mom2ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:07 AM   #7

the fz150 isn't small, but it also isn't heavy, and it's not as big as a rebel, as i recall. it's probably a third larger than the sx230 or sx260, though. if you need a camera to fit in a small purse or pocket, the fz150 isn't it, but it's not hard to bring along as it's light and is a great camera.

the best camera for sports is always going to be a dslr, but the fz150 is a pretty snappy camera in its class, probably one of the best of the bunch. the newer and more expensive fz200 has a wider aperture, though, better for lower light. the canon sx40 might be a good option, too, if you're looking in that size/class.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:56 PM   #8

Why do i need a bridge? Well i believe bigger optics mean better pictures. Dont start flaming i know its not that simple. Like 1000000mp doesnt mean decent quality either. But i had a few compacts and none of them were satisfactory quality for me. I have an entry lvl dslr as well, love that. This one would be used by the misses and when i took her to a store she pointed the smallest fuji bridge. She said it looked cute hahhaaha not very technologic i know but all i can do now is trying to find the one with the best image quality. I perspnally would go for a nikon p310 thats got awsome reviews but if the misses likes the look of the bridge... What can u do

Last edited by vdanee; Jan 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM.
vdanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:25 PM   #9

most of the bridge cameras i know of or have owned have a small sensor - usually the same size as small cameras like the elph line. what most bridge cameras DO have is more DSLR-like features, and that can make a big difference to how one's photos turn out.

the smaller cameras with larger sensors (and they aren't that much larger) include the canon G series (recent models include the G12), the canon S95, S100 and S110, and the panasonic LX5 and LX7. the G12 isn't small, but it's got awesome controls - the others are closer to pocket size, and the larger sensor is helpful, but it's not that much larger.

see the pic in the middle of this page
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/971...rorless-camera
showing all the sensor sizes? the smallest one is the size of most digicam sensors including bridge cameras like the fz150 and the sx40, the second smallest is the one in the cameras i listed above.

i just moved from the micro 4/3 system to a sony NEX 5R, and doing the same shots in the same light, the larger sensor in the NEX does a better job...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10

I have no experience with the Fuji s2995, but the specifications seem very close to the earlier s2950, which I bought 6 months ago, and regretted. Maybe Fuji have improved on the image quality and zoom motor in the s2995, but if it is anything like my s2950 then I think you should look at something else. Although the s2950 appeared to take good images in good light, after a short time I found that it seemed to have difficulty with complex objects, such as bushes, trees etc, in some cases a mere 4 yards from the camera. These would tend to be fuzzy and lacking detail, despite taking them in several modes, Full auto, manual, landscape mode etc. Even with photos taken in my garden in bright sunshine resulted in the lawn looking like a green mush. More simple shapes would be sharp and clear. Some images seemed to be infested with small "worms". At first I thought the camera was faulty OR ME, but after searching the net, came upon quite a number of people with the same problem.
The zoom motor was very noisy, very fast in action which made it difficult to zoom accurately, and using the zoom in video mode resulted in noise from the motor being very noticable and the autofocus to time to adjust, even to small amounts of zoom.
IMHO I would advise you to steer clear of the s2995, unless you can contact someone who has one, who can enlighten you better as to whether these problems have been addressed in later models, or if you find somewhere to try the camera.
To help illustrate the image quality I had from the s2950, I am adding two clips from 2 identical photos taken today with the s2950 and a Panasonic FZ150 (too big for you, just over your max dimensions) that I have just purchased, and am very satisfied with.

Good luck with you final decision
John J is offline   Reply With Quote