Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ200 Canon Powershot SX50, HELP?

Looking for advice. Can't decide between these two bridge cameras, constant f2.8 versus 50X lens?!?!!?

Looking for something that is quite intuitive and easy to use, as I am a complete novice

Grateful for your advice, or any other recommendations!
Gordie1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:30 PM   #2

Both camera's have a basic "Auto" mode so you can shoot straight away,regardless of your limited expertise. You can grow into either in time,as you learn the photographic ropes.
As for which is suitable... much depends on what you plan to shoot.
If you're into birding or shy wildlife,the Canon's huge zoom has to be a plus point- but Panasonic's fast lens and focus speeds lend itself to moving subjects well- especially if the light is less than ideal.
Another to consider might be Fujifilm's new HS50EXR- with a whopping 24-1000mm MANUAL zoom, which cannot be beat for composing shots quickly and with super fast focus speeds also. No reviews around yet, but looks impressive on paper.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:51 AM   #3

Default Thanks Simon.

I'll have a look at the HS50EXR and whether it's available yet here in the UK. You're advice is helpful and at the moment I'm edging towards the Canon. It reviews very well .........and that zoom!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:36 AM   #4

I have the same issue, I am getting a point and shoot next month and my 3 choices for financial sake are the Canon SX50, Panasonic FZ150 and FZ200. I am leaning more on the FZ200 and hopefully due to income tax time may go down in price, but not expecting to much from that. I have two daughters who are under 13 and have very little video of them in the past few years so I am trying to get the best overall quality photo and video point and shoot for outdoor and indoors for the price. I know that the FZ200 has superb ratings for the video and 2.8 lens photo and it would help greatly indoors, however I am not looking for professional or perfect quality so the Canon SX50 may give good quality for the money. Since I work at Walmart I'm thinking about taking the 10% discount off the SX50 and trying for 30 days to see the quality of the photo's and video's before I make my decision, I hate that the Panasonic FZ150 or 200 is not available at Walmart to test out.
Wildlifephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:43 PM   #5

I think one other thing to bear in mind is the electronic viewfinder(EVF).The Canon has a 0.20 mp viewfinder which is pretty average by todays standards-I think possibly the same as I had on a Canon S2 IS many years ago.It is a fairly granular image, difficult to judge sharpness.Compare this to the Panasonic's really nice 1.3mp viewfinder which will give a much clearer view .

Though both have similar quality LCDs with cameras of that zoom power you will need to use the EVF at least for zoom shots, the weight and size of each will make use of the LCD awkward to keep the subject in view, particularly on the Canon and for any prolonged use will give you arm-ache! In practice both look like good cameras.If possible you really need to have a look and feel of each camera to see which feels right and how important the bigger Canon zoom is in practice.

I also agree that the Fuji is worth serious consideration-it gives a much more DSLR like experience in use, depends if that is what you want.

Hope that helps.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:31 PM   #6

Thanks Wildlifephoto, let me know what you go for and how you get on?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:33 PM   #7

Cheers JPW, that's helpful and something else to take into account. Was hoping to get my hands on both tomorrow in Edinburgh to see what the feel like, but looking like I'll be snowed in instead! Grrrrrrrrrrr!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:47 AM   #8

IQ of Canon powershot SX50 is the same with SX40 but SX50 has longer reach lens.

Compare to Panasonic DMC-FZ200 - Moon Shot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/88199182@N06/8217992775/

Last edited by Slyfox; Jan 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:01 AM   #9

Thanks Slyfox, both great shots, but I'm still preferring the Panasonic!

Though I may wait for some reviews on the Fuji HS50EXR, the previews are good and it looks great.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie1888 View Post
Looking for advice. Can't decide between these two bridge cameras, constant f2.8 versus 50X lens?!?!!?

Looking for something that is quite intuitive and easy to use, as I am a complete novice

Grateful for your advice, or any other recommendations!
I spend most of my forum time at the DPR Panasonic forum, but occasionally drop by the Nikon mid-range forum (D80 size). The Panasonians are quite a good group and there really is a lot of valuable information shared. Hopefully, the Photocamel forum will grow with time. There's also a Panny forum over at Steve's Digicams. The cameras Panasonic is producing are gaining a good reputation and giving the older brands some good competition.