Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Which used should I buy?

Canon T3, Nikon 3100, 5000 all three sellers are asking the same price, They are all about 2 years old and comes with kit lens.

I am more gear towards the 3100. Tia
apvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:41 PM   #2

do you currently have any camera lenses already?
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:47 AM   #3

The Canon's kit lens focuses slightly faster,the D5000 has the tilting screen,the D3100 has the better movie capture specs',all EF-EF-S Canon lenses will work with the T3- lenses used with the D3100/5000 must have AF motors in the lens.
Ease of use/interface- I'd go with the Canon, build quality goes to the Nikons,just.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 AM   #4

Should state first the we (wife and I) are Canon shooters and may be a bit bias. We used a friends Nikon D5100 and found it to be slow to focus, drove the wife nuts compared to her Canon T1i. Then again the person who owned the Nikon use to shoot a Canon T3i and 7D and she still prefers the Nikon. I shoot a Canon 7D and would never give it up for any Nikon lower than the D700 series. All three cameras you listed will do a very good job for you. So maybe a three sided coin flipped into the air might help you make up your mind.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Calicajun- I owned a D5000- briefly- and found the focus to be too slow... seems the 5100 might be the same...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:22 PM   #6

I would check both Canon and NikonUSA sites and see if they have any factory refurbished. Campare the price vs used and note that you will get a reconditioned and tested camera with a 90 day warranty. Also will be assured that not grey market as NikonUSA will not repair them PERIOD, and also id limiting part supplies to 3rd party repair shops.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 PM   #7

The D5000 was sold before I can have a look at it. Went to a store to check out the D3100 and the T3, I like the D3100 because it fits my hands better. Bought the used D3100 for $280. I live in Canada and checked Nikon Canada, they have re-certified D3100 (body only) for $275 but I prefer the used D3100 since it came with a kit lens.

I don't own any lens and just finished learning basic with a Fujifilm S2950 and wants to learn more with a basic DSLR.

Took about 100 pictures today and I like the D3100, testing 35mm on the lens only to see if I like it because I am want to get a prime lens soon. This is so different from the S2950.

My next question is should I take photo in RAW only, I like RAW but in GIMP, the file only shown in the size of thumbnail.. Unlike with my friend's computer which he has Photoshop, no money to buy photoshop. Wonder if GIMP can show the RAW file in full size?

Thank you all for your insight.

Last edited by apvm; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
apvm is offline   Reply With Quote