Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:29 PM   #1

Default Old timer needs advice

Okay, I'm here. I never thought I would end up on this forum as a "customer". I recently bought a Canon SX50HS, and I liked the camera for its high iso performance and general image quality. I returned it after using it at the saints and Panthers last game in New Orleans, because I couldn't keep it steady enough at full zoom. I bought it at Sams Club for $379 US. After I returned it, the price went up everywhere. Right after that, I bought the Sony HX200V, and it took less than a week to figure out I could never shoot above 200 iso. It went back today. Now, Walmart has the Canon SX40HS online for $329 US, and the Nikon P510, in the store for $299 US. I am leaning toward the Canon 40, the extra zoom (840 compared to 1200) not a factor, as long as the IQ is the same.

Sorry for getting so long winded about this, but I am a DSLR user primarily, and these bridge cameras have me frustrated!

I anxiously await your thoughts with "worm on tongue"(baited breath)

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:02 PM   #2

I have the Canon SX40HS. The flip screen like the G11 and G12 is basically why I got it. Makes it so much easier to compose shots I would not be able to make as easily with a DSLR. It does quite well overall. I tried the SX50HS (in store) and can't say for sure how it does on the longest end. I helped someone with their Nikon P510 and frankly was glad I decided to get the Canon I have. I am primarily a Nikon DSLR user but sometimes just don't want to carry so much stuff.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:21 PM   #3

I owned an SX40 and was very happy with it- good IQ across the board.
However,one thing "Bridges" really struggle with is shooting moving subjects over distance- and nigh on impossible when your subjects movement is unpredictable- as on a sports field.
Left,right,back,forth- so difficult to track and therefore difficult for the AF to lock on- and especially when your electronically trying to control your zoom at the same time...!!
I used my SX40 to shoot at a soccer game- and quickly realized how inadequate it was in this environment. Not an SX40 shortcoming- but any bridge with an electronic zoom.
I would suggest that if anyone was considering shooting outdoor sports with a bridge- make sure it has a manual zoom and a pretty swift AF at longer focal lengths.
This of course leaves you with the Fuji "Bridges"- I'm not sure the AF is quick enough on the HS30- I haven't used one- maybe someone else can come in here.
I did own a XS-1 and the AF was decent- however,I didn't shoot a sports meet whilst I had it so as to whether it could be adequate,I couldn't say.
Processing speeds and buffer capacity also play a part- with most bridges taking quite a while to be ready for the next shots- which can prove rather frustrating.
My current bridge- Panasonic FZ150 -processes quite quickly,focuses quickly and despite the electronic zoom,has an extra lever on the lens barrel,which means you can zoom and have your finger on the trigger for the catch... and at a pinch CAN be used for outdoor sports. Of course,the newer FZ200 with its f/2.8 lens should be even better- more light coming in can only help the AF system in addition to keeping iso speeds lower or shutter speeds higher.
I shot these with my FZ-150....
Snowdon Race 2012 with FZ-150.
And a tricky time with the SX40HS...
Bangor City v Wigan Athletic.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
I have the Canon SX40HS. The flip screen like the G11 and G12 is basically why I got it. Makes it so much easier to compose shots I would not be able to make as easily with a DSLR. It does quite well overall. I tried the SX50HS (in store) and can't say for sure how it does on the longest end. I helped someone with their Nikon P510 and frankly was glad I decided to get the Canon I have. I am primarily a Nikon DSLR user but sometimes just don't want to carry so much stuff.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have heard from others that the P510 would not be as good as the SX40HS. Actually, I did have trouble with the 50's long zoom, and since I don't carry a tripod around, that 1200 mm was a deal-breaker.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I owned an SX40 and was very happy with it- good IQ across the board.
However,one thing "Bridges" really struggle with is shooting moving subjects over distance- and nigh on impossible when your subjects movement is unpredictable- as on a sports field.
Left,right,back,forth- so difficult to track and therefore difficult for the AF to lock on- and especially when your electronically trying to control your zoom at the same time...!!
I used my SX40 to shoot at a soccer game- and quickly realized how inadequate it was in this environment. Not an SX40 shortcoming- but any bridge with an electronic zoom.
I would suggest that if anyone was considering shooting outdoor sports with a bridge- make sure it has a manual zoom and a pretty swift AF at longer focal lengths.
This of course leaves you with the Fuji "Bridges"- I'm not sure the AF is quick enough on the HS30- I haven't used one- maybe someone else can come in here.
I did own a XS-1 and the AF was decent- however,I didn't shoot a sports meet whilst I had it so as to whether it could be adequate,I couldn't say.
Processing speeds and buffer capacity also play a part- with most bridges taking quite a while to be ready for the next shots- which can prove rather frustrating.
My current bridge- Panasonic FZ150 -processes quite quickly,focuses quickly and despite the electronic zoom,has an extra lever on the lens barrel,which means you can zoom and have your finger on the trigger for the catch... and at a pinch CAN be used for outdoor sports. Of course,the newer FZ200 with its f/2.8 lens should be even better- more light coming in can only help the AF system in addition to keeping iso speeds lower or shutter speeds higher.
I shot these with my FZ-150....
Snowdon Race 2012 with FZ-150.
And a tricky time with the SX40HS...
Bangor City v Wigan Athletic.
Thanks Simon. Both cameras did nicely. I think I will go for the canon. I don't shoot sports, just everything else. The Sony smudged the jpegs horribly, and I couldn't live with that.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:54 PM   #6

Okay, I'm back... I went ahead and bought the SX40HS, and since picking it up at Walmart, the weather has been bad. Stuck inside for two days to avoid drowning LOL. I finally got out for a few minutes this afternoon and snapped a few random pics. Remember, this is my first day shooting with this camera. There is definitely a learning curve involved here.
That said, I am pleased with my first attempt, and I know the IQ will improve once I figure out what I am doing.

Here are a few pics I got today, after the rain. The exif is in there, so you can see what I did. The only PP is some contrast and levels, and resizing.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:04 PM   #7

And the rest, I didn't realize we were limited to five images.

The camera is definitely a keeper for what I need it to do. Simon said it wasn't quite up to active sports, and I can believe that, but for all else, it should be okay. I do know the IQ seems much better to me than the Sony HX200V, but it could just be me. I see that one or two pics lost the exif data somewhere in the processing. I will say that most of these were taken at full zoom (840mm equiv.), and all were hand held. Canon's IS works great.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:54 PM   #8

The canon has pretty good image quality form those shots in less then ideal lighting at the long end of the zoom.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The canon has pretty good image quality form those shots in less then ideal lighting at the long end of the zoom.
Wait'll you hear what I did out of ignorance. I had the 2x digital zoom turned on when I shot all these. So I agree, this camera has pretty good IQ, and it should improve some when I turn the digital zoom OFF. Rookie mistake.

Not sure about giving up the dslr yet, but for general outdoor shooting, like a car show or similar, I think this will work great. Are you in the US? Are you going to be affected by the blizzard? Good luck!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #10

I am in Germany for good now. Missed Sandy in NYC, and missing this snow storm.

As goods as the bride cameras are, still have not seen one of the small sensor camera preform well pass 800iso still. And the details they capture are good, they still do not have the sharpness and crispiness of a lens on a dslr.

I just can't get myself to buy one. Played with them allot, but I keep going to my m4/3 pen when I want something small.