Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:56 AM   #1

Default What to buy? Help!

First.....and foremost.... I am a novice at cameras,digital or otherwise... My husband asked me to go on this site and get information ..(he might as well asked me to change the oil in the car too).lol

I am interested in a camera that has the stabilizer in the camera (I have shaky hands), can take pictures in the sun using the large screen of the camera (not the view finder), and take movies... Compact is good.....

We currently have an Olympus Stylus 740 5X Optical Zoom 7.1 megapixels all-weather which we have had a few years. It has served its purpose but we can't see what we are taking a picture in the sun..Reflection in screen..and want more movie options....zoom for long distance is a must.

As I read the threads in this forum...I do realize I am way over my head comprehending the advice of others...so please "user-friendly" advice.... and terminology... big thanks,

wersiamese1
wersiamese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:26 AM   #2

Hi wersiamese1- am I right in thinking that you want to use the LCD screen as opposed to a viewfinder in bright sunlight... despite a viewfinder offering a far superior view in direct sunlight and a more stable platform to shoot..? If this is so, then maybe a camera with an adjustable/tilt swivel LCD might help, adjusting to avoid glare/reflections etc...
Given that you describe yourself as a novice and you have not suggested a budget- I'll suggest a few to look at with the spec's you seem to want and with an intelligent form of "auto" so you can basically "point and shoot"....

A nice simple camera with plenty of zoom and effective stabilizer- Canon 240/260HS
plus a variety of movie capture options from a computer friendly VGA up to full 1920x1080 HD.
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...240_hs_review/

Slightly more "hi tech"- but well built and has "auto" if you wish,plus a tilting screen- Nikon's P7100- with stabilizer of course and 720p HD video,with stereo audio.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/nikon-...-Camera_review

Want to stay with Olympus- Olympus SZ-31MR- with a BIG 25-600mm zoom,various movie capture modes,image stabilizer and an interface pretty much designed for "point and shoot" operation.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ol...a-review-19078
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote