Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:41 PM   #1

Default I want a simple, no gimmick DSLR that will accept lenses

to start of i would like to say that I once owned a cannon T1i and it was a great camera. I really liked that it would take AA batteries rather than a battery pack.... I can always carry more batteries to change out, and the battery packs seem to be more expensive over the life of the camera... and they are low or dead when you really want them.

so that camera is at the top of my list for quality and knowing how to use it, but i didnt even use 1/10 of the available options on it......

so with a DSLR camera, I would like to be able to take close up wide angle shots, like inside a motorhome or boat.... I want to be able to do macro for bugs and flowers, and i want to do scenery..... normal and with telephoto lenses
i would like a camera that uses common batteries and without a lot of unnecessary features...

can someone recommend a camera that would come close to meeting the criteria that I have mentioned... thank you
centerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:36 PM   #2

You're approaching this wrong. You want lenses, but you're focusing on the camera. Pick the lenses that will do what you want, and find a body you can hang them on. That will narrow down your selection quickly. (I'll add that the days of using AA batteries in a dSLR are gone. Rechargeable batteries can hold a greater charge longer than any 4 AA batteries.)

You want to shoot wide-angle indoors. By far, the best lens for doing that is the (unstabilized) Tamron SP 17-50/2.8 Di II, which is also very good for landscape. Because it's not stabilized, you might want to consider a stabilized body from either Sony or Pentax. None of the equivalent, stabilized lenses are nearly as good, but one that you might be happy with is the Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS HSM. It will be stabilized on a Canon or Nikon body, but it costs a lot more.

For macrophotography, you usually pick a lens by it's focal length/angle of view. A longer focal length will generally give you more working distance between you and the subject. That's useful for shooting animate subjects that you might frighten away if you get too close. Something around 100mm would be good for bugs, but you might want something longer for wasps and hornets (or something really long for rattlesnakes and crocodiles.) If you think you might need to hand-hold, you might consider a stabilized macro lens, or a less expensive, unstabilized lens on a stabilized body.

For longer lenses, there are some good OEM lenses in that category, as well as Tamron's SP 70-300 Di USD, stabilized for Canon and Nikon, or not for Sony.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:46 PM   #3

I'd second what TCav suggests with regards batteries- and I hate AA batteries... give me a bespoke battery pack any day. They hold charge for FAR longer- both in and out of the camera. I have some rather old Canon battery packs which are still going strong- several years after purchase..!
However,If AA's are a must,Pentax can oblige with their older "no frills" K-m,the later K-x or the K-r which gives you the option of both battery pack or AA usage.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:50 PM   #4

... and those Pentax bodies are stabilized.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:27 AM   #5

What is the average mah on your average power pack, 1000? A high capacity AA battery is 2700 mah and when you combine 4 together that's 10,800 mah.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'd second what TCav suggests with regards batteries- and I hate AA batteries... give me a bespoke battery pack any day. They hold charge for FAR longer- both in and out of the camera. I have some rather old Canon battery packs which are still going strong- several years after purchase..!
However,If AA's are a must,Pentax can oblige with their older "no frills" K-m,the later K-x or the K-r which gives you the option of both battery pack or AA usage.
Add the K-30 to this list
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:37 AM   #7

Rechargeable AA 2700 mah at 1.5v and combine is at 6v with 4 cells at 2700 mah.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote