Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Default Bridge camera for new baby and travel?

Hi All,

We're expecting our first baby in just a month and would like to buy a new camera soon. I'm generally the photographer in the family, and love the fast shutter speed and great image quality of a DSLR (I've borrowed friends' DSLRs and the size/weight is always what keeps me from buying one), but am just not loving the idea of lugging around a large camera and multiple lenses - especially considering we'll likely be toting baby and his things. We also travel a lot (hopefully still a bit after baby arrives) and normally enjoy a compact camera for travel just for convenience.

All that said, what are your thoughts on a solid bridge camera? I'm ready to step up from the pocket size point and shoot to something with a much shorter lag between taking pictures. And of course, interested in high quality images of the baby and of our travels.

Seems like the Nikon P510 or the Panasonic FZ200 could be good options? Are there others that we should consider? Or is there a top pick that you might recommend given what I've described above?

tamrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2

Hi. Of the two cameras you listed, my choice would be the FZ200. The 600mm equiv. lens, and the fact that you can shoot wide-open at F 2.8 for the entire focal range make it a strong contender, especially when the light is less than optimal. I opted for the Canon SX40HS, for the longer lens, and a special price.

You really can't go wrong with the canon, Panasonic or Nikon, but the Panasonic looks really good, for what you want it to do.

Oh, welcome to Steve's!
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Last edited by Hawgwild; Feb 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Had to add last sentence.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:06 AM   #3

As a versatile "all in one", you really couldn't go wrong with the FZ-200 (or even the older FZ-150)- certainly if speed is what you're after.
If you switch off the "image review",shot to shot times are akin to a DSLR- and focus /burst speeds are fast also.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4

If you are still in the "looking" mode you may want to check out the mirrorless options out there. The Nikon 1 V1 can still be found at very good prices. The Olympus Pen lineup looks pretty good as well.

I've been looking at something a little more portable than my dSLR. Because I can't find it locally I have ordered an FZ200. My expectations are high for it after reading about it for the past week waiting for UPS.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote