Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Canon sx50 vs. Nikon 1

Hi, I am trying to decide between two cameras, the Canon sx50 and the Nikon 1. I have two active children and what is most important to me is getting clear, crisp pictures, especially during action shots since the kids are always moving. I have done tons of research on cameras using this website and I know that the Canon sx50 is rated well but I couldn't find as much information on the Nikon 1. Using the Nikon website, I did see that the Nikon 1 is supposed to produce crisp pictures during action shots. Can you tell me which camera you would choose to get the best shots? Thanks!
cameracurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:58 PM   #2

If your active children are close by (kit lens limitations....)- and in good light- the hybrid AF on the Nikon is very swift and obviously a manual zoom is quicker and more precise than an electronic one.
In less than ideal light- say indoors- the Nikon would switch from phase detection AF to contrast detection AF- whereby it loses it's advantage in speed.
The AF speed on the Canon SX50 was improved upon compared to the SX40 however- and might be worth enquiring in the Canon P+S section...
I would always recommend a camera with a manual zoom and a viewfinder for following moving subjects- so I'd go with a Nikon "V" over a "J" personally....though you would lose the flash with that option- unless you fancy paying extra for the add on one....
Something else to consider might be the Panasonic FZ200- no manual zoom but it does have a zoom lever on the side of the lens barrel- meaning you can still have a finger on the shutter. Also,it's fast f/2.8 25-600mm lens is very versatile- enabling you to shoot your active youngsters from a distance- often the best option for "candid" shots.
It also has pretty fast AF speed and quick burst shooting options....

Here's some shots I recently took with a V1...
Anglesey Half Marathon 2013
Here's some others I took with the V1- some with elevated iso settings,but not hindering the overall IQ due to it's fairly large 1" sensor...
Moel Y Ci 2013 fell race...

You will notice that all of these are fairly close by shots due to only using the standard kit lens- of course you can add a longer lens,but costs add up... and that's where the versatility of something like a Panasonic FZ200 might begin to make sense....no changing lenses means potentially capturing a shot otherwise missed...!!

Here's some I took with the FZ200 predecessor- the FZ150...(check both pages...)
Snowdon Race 2012 with FZ-150.
The FZ200's advantage over the 150 is it's fast f/2.8 aperture across the entire zoom range- enabling you to keep using lower iso's or fast shutter speeds in decreasing light...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:39 PM   #3

Wow, this is all very helpful! Ok, so I will eliminate the Nikon 1 because I don't want the hassle of needing to switch lenses and potentially missing a good picture opportunity. You suggested that the Panasonic FZ 200 would be another great option along with the Canon powershot sx50. I had actually been looking into the FZ 150 as well but didn't mention it in my thread. So now it looks like I am deciding between the Canon and the Panasonic. Here is my question:

I know you highly suggested the FZ 200 and recommended this over the Canon sx50. However, looking on Amazon, this has a hefty price tag of $529. Instead, can we compare the FZ 150 with the Canon sx50 instead? This is priced better at $378. Do you still recommend the FZ 150 over the Canon sx50 for picture quality/crispness especially with moving subjects?

I really appreciate your help!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:09 AM   #4

i had an fz150 and it was pretty speedy, and if you learn how to use the camera, very capable. the fz200 does have an advantage with its faster lens, better for lower light, but yes - it is pricy.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:56 AM   #5

cameracurious- all else being equal,I think the SX50hs has the edge in overall image quality- however,the Panasonic will get the shot in the first place..!
By that I mean the Panasonic has a full resolution 12fps burst (AF on first frame) and can shoot at 5.5fps with AF on each frame- WAY beyond what the Canon offers and exposure settings are your choice whatever mode you select.
The Canon does have a fast burst in one of the scene modes- but AF is fixed on the first frame and exposure is automatic- meaning you might not get the shutter speed you require... or it may select an unnecessarily high iso setting...
Continuous shooting with updating AF on the Canon is a very pedestrian 0.8 frames a second..!!
So,for single frame snapping- the Canon might be the way to go- and if you need/require a BIG zoom.
For speedy work- the older FZ150 still surpasses it... though decent light/daylight is required....
which is where the FZ200 comes in- able to shoot in lower light then it's predecessor when using the zoom. Also, the FZ200 starts up faster...

Last edited by SIMON40; Apr 2, 2013 at 5:01 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Thank you both! I may just go with the FZ200 and get what I really want. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:59 PM   #7

that's a great idea - i buy cameras all the time that i end up selling. and you can buy the camera with a no questions asked return policy, so if you happen not to like it, you can get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameracurious View Post
Thank you both! I may just go with the FZ200 and get what I really want. Thanks!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote