Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2013, 8:01 PM   #1

Default Sony NEX 6 or 100D or something else?

I like these cameras because of the size and on paper the Sony has a clearly better sensor.

Canon (650D) Vs Sony
Color depth
21.7 bits 23.7 bits
Dynamic range
11.2 EV 13.1 EV
Low light performance
722 ISO 1,018 ISO

However the canon has better lenses available in the long run.
this technical differences look quite large particularly the dynamic range. How tangible is this?

I've not read great things about the NEX 6 kit lens where as the 100D does okay. what do you think?

The 100D also has a few other nice features that I may or may not use.

I've also toyed with the idea of a Nikon D5200 or D7000 as they give the quality of the Sony and the features of the Canon but in a bigger package. This goes against why I liked the NEX for its size. I'm also wondering if the Canon 100D size benefits are lost anyway as they dont have a small form factor zoom lens. e.g. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

I generally like scenery, landscapes and maybe a bit of closer up with nice bokeh. I've also used HDR and like it, but maybe with a wider dynamic range and polarizing filter I wont need to as much. On that point would the NEX 6 power zoom take a filter?

So do I miss out on good lenses with the Sony and is the 100D size lost and therefore the Nikon is better?

Would a 100D with a couple of primes suit me? Or could I get the NEX with a non power zoom lens for the same price? NEX6 is already top end of my budget.

Any thoughts, suggestions??
daninmanchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2013, 5:28 AM   #2

The NEX-6 is a fine camera, but you're right, the lenses aren't great. (It's a problem common to all mirrorless systems, btw. The shorter flange focal distance means the lens has to bend light more to project an image over the entire sensor, which gives lenses a propensity for field curvature and chromatic aberration.)
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 7:58 AM   #3

if the 100D is comfortable for you to hold, i'd get that. more lenses really do count - i had a NEX 5R, but its hybrid autofocus didn't live up to the hype (it actually focused less quickly and surely than the 5N), and soon i found that i needed a better lens selection.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM   #4

The 100D felt okay in the shop but I've not used a DSLR in anger in any form factor before.

The sensor on the D5200 is clearly better on the 100D.
If you look at the 700D (same as 100D more or less) there is a about 2.7 f-stops more dynamic range which seems a lot! Does the Nikon let itself down anywhere else? I;d probably get a standard kit lens to start with ....

Canon EOS 100Dwith EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit
daninmanchester is offline   Reply With Quote