Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2013, 1:51 PM   #1
Default Best Travel Camera (compact, zoom, picture quality)

Hello everyone

I have been looking for a new camera as I will be traveling to Europe this summer. I definitely want something compact, with image stabilization, and good picture quality. From what I can tell, it looks like the contenders are the Canon Powershot SX280, the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40, and I have also been looking at the Sony DSC-HX50V. I love color, and want to be able to take beautiful landscape shots as well as have a camera that has the capability to take decent shots of structures/buildings at night. I also would love to be able to take beautiful sunset pictures. What do you think would be my best bet? I am open to suggestions

Thank you,
PuraVida101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2013, 3:14 PM   #2

With regards image quality,the differences between all of the above are small- and as such I'd go with which has the features you want/need...
If you don't need WiFi or GPS you could get the cheaper but almost identical SX240/260 or the Panny TZ30. You could also add the bijou little Sony WX300 into the list...
The HX50 looks impressive on paper- but I'd question such a high resolution on a 1/2.3" sensor and perhaps a 30x zoom in a small body might be pushing things a bit optically- however,I'll hold fast until I see a decent review... it might surprise me...!

If you're going to be shooting mostly in auto or the scene modes,again,all of the above are more or less on a par- though if you like to shoot in shutter or aperture priority- the WX300 and the HX9V are found wanting- as they don't have this feature.

Some minor observations- the Panny's and the Sony's focus quickly- and in my opinion feel better in the hand. I also preferred the old power switch on the TZ30- as opposed to the button on the TZ40.
The Sony WX300 and the TZ30/40 have their flashes on the front of the camera- which I personally prefer,as opposed to a separate mechanism to drive up the flash which is the case on the Canon's and the HX50V.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:07 AM   #3

I would second the SX260. It got very good reviews on this site:
http://www.claritific.com/cameras/Ca...Shot_SX260_HS/ and is one of the best travel cameras around right now. Considering color, each manufacturer does its own unique image post processing and I think Canon's standard processing is very pleasing. But it is a personal preference. Maybe take a look at some sample photos and look which post processing you prefer.
Ergoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:01 PM   #4

It sounds like your phone can pretty much do the job you want.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote