Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:30 AM   #11

Yes exactly!
And that is what that article I pointed to was also mentioning.
You can get results from many kinds and levels of equipment, just some require a lot more effort to get them.

Took me a while but here is a flickr stream of someone testing the fz200 for ice hockey (they posted many images using it at an arena)
Check them out to see if that camera can meet your expectations.
Note his description, the images were all run through TOPAZ to de-noise them then levels adjusted and sharpening in photoshop to help them pop.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:00 PM   #12

I don't shoot hockey. I do shoot night baseball sometimes. I have an FZ200 and a Sony A65 with a Tamron 70-300mm lens (the good one, that costs between 400 and 500 bucks). The problem with my old superzooms (among them the FZ28 and the Nikon P510) was that the max aperture at 500mm (and above) was f/5.6 or higher. So I would have to set them at ISO 1600 (or above) to get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid really blurry pictures. I was able to use ISO 800 at a nighttime baseball game and get shutter speeds of 1/300 (and above). Not perfect, but ok. So, it's possible that the FZ200 shoots in low light will be (much) better than what you had with your old FZ superzoom. If you could afford an F/2.8 70-200mm lens with your DSLR, you could get better picture quality, but those usually cost at least $700, putting you over your budget.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote