Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Default New Photographer here, looking for advice!

Hi, I'm Alexander Brevik, I live in the United States (east coast)
I'm a Graphic Designer, Digital Artist, and a Photographer.
I currently am looking into buying my own camera, for these reasons:
People love my pictures
I'm highly advanced at editing, previous higher learning from college..
(which I did not finish.. shrug.. )
I have been asked to be the professional photographer for a motorcycle team, I travel and go to carshows as well, and love to shoot moving targets, I feel as though, I have a "gift" at what I'm doing.
I would like to share with you a link to my Artist/GraphicDesign/Photography facebook but, I'm unsure if that would be a violation of the terms here, as I'm not trying to advertise, I would just like to reference it so you'd have a better understanding of what I do.
Anyway, I don't want to leave the link, because I'm new and would like approval first.
Here's the deal guys:
I'm into digital high end technology, what I want/would like:
A camera that can shoot 720p film or better
A camera that can take high-end photos Megapixels +++
A camera that doesn't have bad reviews for too much noise!
Would like a camera that could take multiple photos in 1 second duration
A camera that has good sabilization during high speed shots
A camera that perhaps can take vivid nightshots (for fun reasons)
A camera that has a good flash is a plus
A viewfinder would be nice option
Optical zoom is that doesn't get fuzzy or out of focus, too much noise, etc.

My pockets are running on empty like my gas tank :P
So, my price range is relativily low..
Optimistically, I'm looking into a price range of $200-$400
Things might change and my budget might increase, but please don't laugh, I really need to find the best bang for the buck as this is my passion and people like what I'm doing, I really want to take it to the next level.
ps- I appreciate your time in reading this & taking me seriously.
Alexander Brevik
Cameramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:59 AM   #2

more megapixels doesn't mean the best quality pictures - sometimes, it means a little more noise.

i don't know of a recent camera that doesn't shoot HD video (not film) at 720 or better.

even low end cameras are now shooting multiple frames per second in burst mode.

optical zoom doesn't get fuzzy unless you're talking about hand shake at long distances - digital zoom is what gets fuzzy.

i would have recommended the panasonic FZ200, but it's above your price range. i haven't personally used the canon SX50 or its predecessor, the SX40, but i've heard only good things about them both, and the SX50 is in your price range. it has a viewfinder, burst mode, shoots videos at 1080p, and canon has always had good stabilization. it's 12 megapixels, but honestly you're going to have to make some compromises, the other one being that i wouldn't suggest shooting at more than 20x zoom without cranking up the shutter speed a lot or using a tripod.

honestly if you want everything in your list, you'll need a DSLR or other removable lens camera and some pretty decent lenses, and they'll cost more than your budget. you could go a little higher and get a canon T3, but i'm not a big fan of the T3 myself.

if you don't need much zoom, wait till the next olympus sale and pick up an E-PM2 with the kit zoom. it has a learning curve, definitely, but you can get a lot of help on youtube and on camera boards. it has in body stabilization, good image quality and lots of other features including HD videos. the last 2 sales, the camera with lens sold for $424, and i expect that may pop up again.

you might also consider one of cameta's refurbs (done by olympus)

these are one generation old, and are pretty good cameras. they come with lens, both have stabilization, and you can buy an optional EVF for them.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:21 AM   #3
Default Thanks for the quick replys!

So, I've been awake for awhile.. XD
Been doing some research,
I've upped my budget, to about $700
I'm looking to buy a SLR camera:
1080p, multiple shots per second,
A flip-out LCD is very sweet option
Eyeballing the Canon Rebel T3i

A friend of mine does motorcycle stunt shows under Adrenalincrew, I was their photographer at a recent show,"Hyperfest" in West Virginia. They like my work and want me to attend more shows. I'm looking at it as a good opportunity to get my "Name" noticed and start getting recognition, & make future sales. I was using a Canon digital camera.. (My Dads) It wasn't nothing special, specs were 4.0 megapixel with a wide eye lens. This is also my friend who stunts, so I don't want to ask for money, as I enjoy what I'm doing and think the real profitability is in the photos I'm capturing, and selling/editing, those rather then asking for money by attending shows. I'm also getting some tattoo work, art for art type deal!

Thanks for the information, as my budget has increased, I'm looking into SLR as stated the Canon Rebel T3i has great reviews, I read the entire review on this website, which went into almost too much detail about how nice that camera is, but it was well written article. Here's also an issue, I have $100 gift card from Walmart, so my camera needs to be purchased there, luckily they have a decent online inventory.

Walmart is offering two different bundle deals:

I'm not quite sure about which is better & why?

The T3i looks to offer alot of high-end punch for the buck, and with an extra lens, I think I'll really take it to the next level.

Hopefully, with-in a week or so, I'll be able to make a purchase!
Thanks again for the input guys, appreciate it!
Alexander Brevik
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:28 AM   #4

Ok, well.. that's really lame, I wrote a long reply and it made me re-login and it dissappeared!!

My budget has increased to around $700 as I plan to sell off some goodies to make this possible. Optimistically making a purchase in the next week or so..

Looking to buy a Canon Rebel T3i

Looking to buy from Walmart, I have $100 giftcard that needs to be used there, and their online specials look nice, as to which one, I am still unsure of, due to not quite understanding lens vs lens, havn't researched or know much about that aspect, or to which one is better suited for my needs.

Thanks for the quick replys!
Alexander Brevik

ps- I was looking at a Nokia version but it was slightly more expensive, more megapixel but didn't seem to have as good reviews.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:22 AM   #5

Hey Alexander. Your posts were in a queue awaiting moderator approval (and I approved them so that they're showing up now).

We have a spam filter system, and sometimes it places posts from new members into a queue requiring approval before they're visible in the forums. Chances are, it was because your posts included links to products for sale. We can't tell why it places posts in the queue (as it looks at things like post content, e-mail address, ip address and more via a "learning" engine). But, when links are included in posts from new members, there's a higher chance the filter will place posts in a queue for moderators to approve or deny (and sometimes, even links to images can cause that issue, as it's not a perfect solution).

Once you've made more than 10 posts here, it won't screen them anymore. We have it setup that way so that less spam shows up, as we get new members (spammers) every day trying to use our forums to promote their products and services, and the filter system helps us to manage the spam problem (as we get a lot of spam every day here).

My apologies for the delay.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:38 AM   #6

Alexander- of the two bundles here, I'd go with the second- as the additional lens is stabilized and frankly better optically...
For what it's worth, I also own a 600D/T3i and am very happy with it...

If you wan't a quicker burst rate, maybe look into the Pentax models (K-30 maybe...) or one of Sony's SLT models (A37/57...)

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:17 AM   #7

There was a rather impressive upgrade between the T3i and T4i - a new sensor, new image processor (meaning better high ISO performance) and new AF system (inheriting the xxD af system which is a pretty big improvement over the old system) and some video enhancements. You should be aware that AF for video still isn't good. But, for your requirements the t4i is a worthy upgrade (the t5i a little less so).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:48 PM   #8

So, I took a glance at the Sony A57K
Looks to have some quality features, but the price is $799 non-bundle

There are two Canon T4i's but currently sold-out bundle deals
$898 & $1,148.. A bit pricy and sort of out of my budget range..

The T3i with the regular 18-55mm lens is $600
Bundle deal w/ 55-250mm lens = $750
Bundle deal w/ 75-300mm lens = $700

Not sure as to which lens, I worded these links diffently in previous posts.

Also, a Nikon D5200 Bundle deal w/ 18-105mm lens = $999

I think, I'm leaning towards the gravitational pull of the T3i bundle due to the cost and reviews. Still undecided..
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:13 PM   #9

None of the lenses you're looking at would work well for sports/action shooting.

You should really look at lenses like the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR ($586.95), the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM ($649.00), or the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 'G' ($998.00) for shooting outdoors in good light, or the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM ($1,299.00), the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G ($1,998.00), or the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ($2,396.95) for indoors or in poor light. Sigma also has a nice 70-200/2.8 for $1,249, and Tamron has a nice 70-300/4-5.6 for $349.

Without one or more of the above lenses, you won't have much luck doing what you want.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:14 AM   #10

this is the kit i'd go with of the t3i kits:

my son has the t2i version, and i really like the 55-250 for a budget lens - stabilization is effective, focal range rocks and the pic quality is good (not L lens good, but for its price, definitely good).

you're probably going to have to work to get the pics you want with these entry level lenses, but i've seen people get good results getting action shots, particularly when they pre-focus on a certain area where they know the action will be happening.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote