Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Default Newbie needs a Compact Camera

Hello all,

I am in need of a camera for my trip in a Expo in LA. And I am looking for just a compact camera that will take great pictures.

I am not a camera guy, I just need something that I can use simple enough and take great pictures.

I wanted to get the Canon 60D but I will only use this camera on that Expo and after that it will hit the shelves and forget about it. So I do not want to get something expensive.

I am looking at something like the Canon A4000.

Would you recommend any other camera in that range? I can spend a little more if I have to but it has to be best bang for the buck.

bopbop91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:10 PM   #2

From a 60D to an A4000...! That's quite a difference...in both price and capability..!!

You say you're not a camera guy... so will be shooting in "auto"...?
What kind of scenes will your LA visit incorporate...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:40 PM   #3

Wow, from a $100 camera to a $900 camera...so what is your budget.

The biggest deal right now, marked down $250 is the Canon EOS M http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
For street/event photography you won't really need telephoto...but is nice to have and usually can be added later. Sony is about the only exception as they mark the telephoto up $100 to reduce it down $100, competitive with every other consumer telephoto lens in that class, but with basic camera purchase.

Also can find some deals in 4/3 cameras like the Olympus EM2, again a 2 lens combo like the 60d would be. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Single lens P&S. These are better quality P&S.
Panasonic LX7 ($398)
Canon s110 ($349)
Olympus XZ2 ($599)
Sony RX100 ($648) or recently introduced, RX100ii ($748)

Want a viewfinder. Both the Olympus, and I think the Panasonic, above have an optional plug in viewfinder. One actually built into the camera...

Canon G15 ($599)
Fuji X20 ($599)
And amazingly, Nikon is still selling the Nikon 1 V1 on it's site for $369 (plus $250 for the second lens, and if desired, a flash $149 as none is provided internally) The V1 was replaced by the V2 over a year ago, and was originally offered at the same overinflated price of the current V2. The V1 is a decent camera. http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikon...ctID.239765600

Last edited by tizeye; Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote