Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:21 AM   #1

Default not sure what compares?

i had a canon sx 220 and liked it but at the time i wasn't sure if the pop up flash was for me. I sold it and bought a panasonic lumix zs15 as i wanted something super quick. This one has been ok but i hate that you have to switch it over into another mode to view the last pic you just took, etc. The colors i don't care for as much either, like the canon colors better. It has been acting up on me lately when starting up, having a mind of it's own? We have a 2 week trip to mexico coming up for new years, so i don't want my camera to fail on me when away. Thinking of getting a new one but am not sure what to get, what's good out there right now, etc.... i was reading about the new canon sx 270 but i hear lots of issues with batteries? is it really good? what else compares, in this category? I don't necessarily need manual controls but having easy access to getting it into a movie mode or a few scene modes, like fast/ motion or night mode...without having to do into the camera's menu and search for it... what do you guys suggest? oh and i want it smaller, no mega/ superzooms... kinda more pocket sized please...
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:57 PM   #2

If you liked the SX220,the SX240/260 has a more orthodox flash,in that you had to activate it yourself. I have heard of software bugs on the 270- hence me mentioning the older model- I had a 240 and was very happy with it.
I'd go so far as to say the Canon pocket/super zoom models still offer the best overall IQ...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:37 PM   #3

See I can't seem to find the 240 anywhere locally only the 270/280 and I have no need for GPS or wifi etc
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:17 PM   #4

Panny's TZ40 ditched the shoot/view switch... and the budget version TZ35 drops the GPS and WiFi- and has mono audio on video...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:52 PM   #5

So u say the pany is a good contender now that the switch is gone ? How do u review pics on it now
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:38 AM   #6

To view images on the Panny is the usual affair of depressing a playback button,much like any other camera.Actually,I liked the old switch system- but that's just me...!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:50 AM   #7

awesome to hear. i HATED that switch as when you wanted a quick play back to see if you have to re take, it seemed to take forever to view it! clicking the switch over and waiting for it to load, etc.. then switching it back and getting focused again to re take a pic... glad to hear it's like every other camera now... i will look into it as it would be nice to just keep my extra batteries and reuse them in another camera but for some reason the canon strikes me as better????? not sure why or if it's just something i got in my head but i will try to do a comparison between the 2 and i guess i will let price lead me to one to buy!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #8

To be honest, the Canon SX270/280 problem is only when taking video movies, the knack it seems is to power down and power back on... it is only when filming movies you get the error as I understand and what they on other forums.

The picture quality on the Panny's doesn't seem to be as good as the SX270/280 at full zoom, also Canon's low light performance is better from the photographs I have seen.

I too was going to get a SX270/280 until I heard of the battery problem, a firmware update well, some say it makes no difference and others say's it's improved the flashing low battery light - I can say the firmware made no difference to my friends SX280, he took it back and got a Panasonic.

There is another niggle that many complain about and that it is the pop up flash location, scour forums after forums, after forums and you'll get just as confused as I, also look at varying reviews and photo samples, download em' and judge for yourself.

So I hung fire all round and stuck to my Canon A650IS, great camera that but the zoom is only x6, be nice if they fitted a 20x zoom on that, AA batteries too.

I'm still hitching to go and get a SX270/80, but keep hanging back for another reason has cropped up, there's that many been returned back to Canon I don't want to be ending up with a refurbished reboxed one - thats just me being finicky.

Another thing with any camera if you use GPS that will certainly drain batteries, the location data can take a while to pop up and only works out in the open.

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9

ya the battery issue is a issue for me.... i am not one who uses movie mode lots but when i do i don't need issues plus just the low amount of pics it takes in general sucks... I did have the 220sx before and i was not sure if i liked the pop up flash or not and that is why i got the panny zs15. now looking for a new camera again these 2 keep popping up seeming on the top of the lists again... the pop up flash makes me wonder again, if i will like it or not and the low battery kinda bugs me but the good image quality is really good and grans my attention. I don't mind my panny zs15 but i HATE the switch to review pics, it takes too much time when you want to quickly review the pic you just took. So the new zs25 doesn't have it and that interests me as well..

i do read in many reviews about the pop up flash, people no liking it for years, you think they would of fixed that already?

i don't need GSP at all! will never use it! wifi maybe, but not gps ever!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:19 AM   #10

Wifi is another issue with the SX280/70 come to think, the menu is button is not in the helpful of places, I've been told it's slow to transfer pictures as well, no first hand experience on this issue though.

The Canons battery problem is only when taking movies, it doesn't show in still mode.

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote