Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:01 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-WX300 or Nikon S9500?

I need to replace my Panasonic DMC-ZS3 which is getting a little old, so much so I find using my iPhone sometimes gets better shots. I love the large zoom and like seeing there are even bigger zooms out there now. I'd like to get something smaller but am used to the size of my current camera in my pocket.

I have done a lot of reading of reviews, specs, etc. and am now torn between the Sony DSC-WX300 or Nikon S9500. I like the size of the Sony but like I said I'm used to the size of the Nikon. I don't need the GPS feature of the Nikon, and from some reviews, the Nikon supposedly gives better quality photos. A little more manual control is nice in the Sony.

Other than the size, they are both very similar in features and price, so I am torn. From real user experiences, which would you recommend?
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Features aside,one of the problem areas (in my opinion) with high zoom compacts are their lenses- despite that being their selling point.
They're optically compromised by design,trying to squeeze so much into a small package- often resulting in soft-ish images at wide angle and/or at the telephoto end- and is primarily the reason why I still have my old TZ10(ZS7)- as the 12x lens in that is sharp throughout the range- which incidentally is where I think compact zooms should stop (10-12x zoom) as I think that is the limit before optical performance gets compromised.

However,if 20x is a must- the Canon SX240hs is as good a lens as I've seen in such a camera- and it's the same lens in the latest model, the SX270/280HS.
I also think it's the best sensor offered in such a camera...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I actually first wanted a Canon and looked at the Canon SX280 HS. But after seeing lots of comments by users on the problems they were having with it, that unfortunately got crossed off my list.

One thing I failed to mention is I'm buying two. One for me and the other for my significant other for Christmas. As she is complaining about her current camera (which BTW I bought), I definitely will be buying local so she can return it if it fails to meet her expectations and she can hold one in her hands that she does like. That really limits my choices too.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:34 PM   #4

The other I'd consider- Panasonic's TZ30/40 (ZS20/ZS30)...
Well put together and a swift performer...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The other I'd consider- Panasonic's TZ30/40 (ZS20/ZS30)...
Thanks for the suggestion but I would not buy a Panasonic again. It was a good camera at the time but at the time of original purchase, they did not allow any OEM parts like batteries. Everything had to be Panasonic brand so cables and batteries really added up to the cost.

Right now unless I hear something drastic, I think I'm leaning toward the Sony.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:11 AM   #6

Steve's take on the Sony...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html