Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:49 AM   #21

Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I thought long and hard, and I have decided to go with the Sony. It's true that in the normal course of events I don't need massive prints, but for the edge cases (and they are often the most important ones) the extra resolution is important.
That combo (Sony A7R with the lenses you're getting to start out with) should have absolutely unbeatable image quality.

The recent reviews of the new Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 show an astonishing lens quality, and coupled with the A7R, I doubt you'd find a better combo for the type of photography you like. Of course, you could also spring for an adapter (LA-EA4 or LA-EA3) to use A Mount Lenses with it if you find any shortcoming with the new FE mount lens lineup until they offer more options for it. For example, I wouldn't mind using that camera with some of the A Mount lenses like my Minolta 28mm f/2 or 100mm f/2 (and I suspect users of the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G would love to have an A7R to pair it with, too); as even though the A7R has a 36MP sensor, the pixels are still larger than found in many of the newer APS-C size sensors, which means lower demands on the lenses to get great results from my experience using older lenses on the 24MP full frame sensors in other Sony models (and I suspect that will also be true with the higher resolution sensor in the A7R).

Please let us know how you like it. I'm jealous. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 AM   #22

There are a few things that you should look out for with the a7R.
  • Unlike the a7, which has one of the fastest flash sync speeds available, the a7R has one of the one of the slowest.
  • Unlike the a7, which has an "electronic first curtain shutter" feature, the a7R must first close the shutter to end the preview, then open the shutter to start the exposure. All that movement of the big 'Full Frame' shutter generates a lot of vibration in the small, light camera, which results in a lot of motion blur due to camera shake, so even handheld shots, and especially tripod mounted shots, should use fast shutter speeds.
  • Unlike the a7, which has a hybrid AF system, the a7R has only Contrast Detection AF, which doesn't perform well with moving subjects or while panning.
  • There aren't very many telephoto E-Mount lenses.
  • While lenses mounted on adapters are extremely sharp in the center of the image, the sharpness of even excellent lenses falls off quickly toward the edges when using even the best adapters. (See Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?)
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote