Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:30 AM   #11

Hello, sorry to pick up this discussion,
I am all but an expert in photography and I would definitely not consider to get a DSLR as I am used to travel really light and the biggest compromise on this i can get to is to get a bridge camera without the need to have different lenses to carry around.
So, given that DSLR is out of question for me, I would like to get a bridge camera, I was initially thinking at the Canon sx50 or its successor that should be announced in these days, but then i also thought that anyway i will not use that much zoom and that with that camera although it's more bulky than a point and shoot i will not get outstanding images anyway so I might better keep my canon s95 for the time being.
I then looked at many reviews of the sony rx10 and almost decided now or in the coming future to get one, despite its not really welcoming price. I would like to go down to a 20mm rather than 24 for panoramic shoots but seems I cannot get that at the moment.

I just wanted to ask you if you think there is any real competitor of the sony rx10 in the market at the moment or if you know whether some will come out soon;
or also if you know when we will see its successor from sony itself.
I know this last seems more like a clarvoyant question but surely you are more informed than I am.

Last question is, i don't see among the accessories of the rx10 a polarizer filter, any suggestion?

thanks a lot !
ospeand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:06 PM   #12

The RX10 has a 62mm filter thread... so obtaining a polarizer should be pretty straight forward....
Direct competitors...? On IQ/build alone...no...but if you want/need more reach...the SX50 would seem the obvious choice at present... and for speed,the Panasonic FZ200...
Want wider than 24mm...? Use the Sony's panoramic sweep mode... now found in the FZ200 also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote