Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:12 AM   #1
Default Zoom and FPS. Bought a t2i. Debating a fuji hs25exr.

Wait let me explain first.......

I'm new to the dslr's but have always wanted a fast camera and zoom lens. I've gotten quite good at making a canon g9 get some pics I want in action (half shutter focus and split sec snap before entering the frame). It still drives me crazy and lots of photo opportunities are lost. My son does motocross if that helps you with speed I'm looking for.
I got a good deal on a Canon t2i w/lens for $200 and a 75-300lens for $100. It shoots 3.7fps. BUT I have yet to use it.
Until I can budget the 7d or 70d it will have to do......or will it?

I can pick up a fuji hs25exr for ~$150 that has a 700mm zoom and 11fps. I do understand full zoom 700mm is going to be blurry w/o a tripod at least but it's got me debating the dslr thing and whether to pick this deal up. The pictures users have posted of the fuji with that long zoom and detail at full zoom in the pics is pretty wowable.

I've researched a lot and still can't get a clear understanding of:
1. At 3.7fps vs 11fps, why do I want to be using the t2i? Granted I want a great shot but I hear that's a lot of fill on a card and I can see hrs of debating frames 6 & 7.
2. Will 3.7fps be more than I'm expecting or would I be smart picking up the fuji? Saw where someone on here says he shoots more at the 3.7 than at 5.3+
3. My unconfirmed research still has me believing the DSLR is better than the bridge camera.
4. Am I wasting money on the fuji when I can get more out of the t2i? The fuji adds things like panorama (which I do use on my g9 and iphone-but I'm familiar with post stitching software). Also adds 3d and a few other marketable features so it's confused my mind. I've been looking fwd to using a dslr for a long time and this fuji thing is throwing me off. What should I want to know?

Thanks in advance.

If it helps any, I don't plan on being a pro-paid photographer and I'm not able to budget $1000's+ on L lenses and 500mm lenses yet.
Taylorsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:13 AM   #2

Just noticed how long that was. Sorry.

Thanks for helping though if you can.
Taylorsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:00 AM   #3

The fps isn't the be all and end all... focus speed/accuracy are far more important- which is where the DSLR comes up trumps- of course AF speed on a DSLR is lens dependant so a decent lens is a must for fast work...
In addition the DSLR will yield far superior results at higher iso speeds- which you'd be using often at longer focal lengths with fast shutter speeds and/or less than ideal light...

The only "bridge" camera I'd try and use for fast work would be the Panasonic FZ200- as it has a fast frame rate AND speedy autofocus... in addition to a fast aperture to keep the iso speeds lower (all else being equal) than competing models...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Motocross is generally an outdoor, daytime, fair weather sport, so you will have plenty of light, won't need an extremely fast lens, and will be using pretty small apertures, even at high shutter speeds and low ISO settings. Getting good shots isn't too difficult. If you want to catch the bikes in the air (for example), pre focus the camera and wait for them to hit the top. I have done this with manual wind, manual focus film SLRs. Remember, you don't have to shoot every second of a race. The camera is less important than you might expect.
That said, if you plan on printing poster size pictures, the T2i is probably your better choice, and you already have it. The only real downside is that you have a greater chance of picking up dust on the sensor (but if you only have one lens, that is less of a problem)

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:05 PM   #5

is there a reason you can't just shoot at a much faster shutter speed rather than using burst mode?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote