Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:07 AM   #1
Default How important are megapixels vs. shutter control?

I want to upgrade my photos from my Pentax WG-1 (14,000 megapixels) to a Canon G16 (12,000 megapixels). The Canon offers full manual control. I figure with the Canon I can master shutter control and get better pictures. But by decreasing megagpixels, are my pictures actually going to be less rich, no matter how I shoot? Thanks.
boilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:04 AM   #2

The difference between 12mp and 14mp is insignificant. You're going to get a sensor with 2 years of improvement over the Pentax sensor so even without the manual controls you'll get better image quality. The new camera also has image stabilization to reduce camera shake which is extremely useful for digicams due to their light weight.

There may be other modern digicams that could be better choices - there are literally too many models out there to keep up with - but the bottom line is the camera would definitely be an upgrade in IQ and provide you the ability to learn how to make your own adjustments.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:57 PM   #3

you won't even notice the difference between 12 megapixels and 14. btw, my husband has the G15, and it's a really awesome camera, easy to use, focuses very well, responsive, and the viewfinder - while small - is very helpful. i'm sure the G16 will be, as well.

btw, less megapixels in some cases means less noise in the images, not a bad thing. it never means less richness - the G15 has richer color than a lot of other digicams i've owned and used.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:47 PM   #4

Maybe consider getting a DSLR.

You'll have more options and control of your shots with a DSLR (including using different lenses).

Entry level DSLR's are quite inexpensive these days. Even consider getting a used DSLR from keh.com or Adorama.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote