Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:18 AM   #1
Default Panasonic Lumix TZ35 or Canon Powershot SX260?

I am looking for a good digital camera to take travelling to Nepal and SE Asia that takes good quality photos, especially in low light, as well as panoramic shots.

I'm deciding between Panasonic Lumix TZ35 and Canon Powershot SX260 (I'm not bothered about wifi for the price hike) and I'm struggling to chose.

With current deals on, Lumix is the cheaper option by about 45 so I'm tempted by this model if there's not a lot of difference but I'd be willing to pay more for the Canon if this provided noticeably better quality pictures and overall performance.

I've got the Canon Powershot a480 which is old but takes decent quality images for a cheap camera, although it is quite slow which is why I am upgrading. Never bought a panasonic before so I'm finding it hard to choose.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Viewfinder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:03 AM   #2

Take what I say for what its worth. I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS8. I somehow got dust inside the camera, in spite of being very careful.After some time on the internet, I discovered Lumix point and shoots seem to have this problem way more than other brands. I also have a Canon SX40HS, and have zero problems with dust. Same for my Sony HX10V. Or my old Canon A560. No dust issues.

Based on the comparison of the two cameras you mentioned, I would go with the Canon. I just don't trust the Panasonic TZ/ZS series cameras any more. My ZS8 is virtually unusable, and sits in a drawer, sad to say. The image quality was very good until the dust issue. Hope this helps, and not confuse. Good luck.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:26 AM   #3

I, like Robert, have had dust issues with a "TZ"- and given many others also report similar issues it's quite difficult to recommend a "TZ" model- which is a shame as they perform pretty well in most situations.
However,I have also owned a Canon SX240 (similar to the 260) and found it to be a very capable performer in all areas- and as such would have no problem recommending a similar model from Canon.
The lens was pretty sharp by compact/superzoom standards,had an effective image stabilizer- and probably has the best sensor of all the competing models with regards low-light performance.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:56 PM   #4

i loved my SX260. it shot great pics for its class, although i wasn't thrilled with the white balance in the handheld night mode (or whatever it's called). overall very pleased with it.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:06 PM   #5

Here's a video how to clean a lens on Panny's TZ series camera, it show's you how to strip the camera down.

Might be useful I dunno... at least I'm not sitting on it and not sharing. I was about to get the SX280.... might even get the TZ myself or the Sony HX50 instead.

Last edited by davy; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!!!
davy is offline   Reply With Quote