Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Default Backpacking Trip - Camera Options

So I'm taking a rather big adventure trip to New Zealand in a few months and I am REALLY struggling to decide on the right camera. I have done too much research - to the point that my head is spinning and I'm certain that whatever I choose, I will regret.

Some info about the trip:
  • 2+ weeks
  • Supported trek
  • Usually a 30L daypack to carry raingear, water, snacks etc.
  • A 4 day backpacking stretch with a 60L pack carrying food, gear, sleeping bag etc.
  • Varied climates, with much rain likely!
  • Sandy beach, kayak, cycling, hiking
So my big concern is weighing picture quality vs.size for ease carrying everywhere. Durability in the elements is the secondary consideration.

Right now, I have a Canon Rebel T1i with the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and an additional Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom. I also have an iPhone 5S. I have debated bringing one or the other, but worry that the Canon is too bulky to use.

So I read this article suggesting that I might be OK with my iPhone:

Then I considered some iPhone upgrades to alleviate my concerns. There seem to be a lot of 3rd party camera apps in iTunes. Any tips on the goto app??? There are also lens kits for the iPhone. These are a couple of the best:
But they are not weatherproof. I saw these that are weatherproof, but wonder if the optics are any improvement whatsoever.
I also considered what this site calls EVIL type cameras. There is a Canon that has a lens mount for my existing lenses, but this site didn't review it well. The Sony's seem to lead the way in this class.

So as you can see, I'm lost. I think my current ranking would be EVIL > weatherproof iPhone lens kit > non-weatherproof iPhone lens kit > my exisiting Canon DSLR > new DSLR

I would probably choose one of the weatherproof iPhone options if I knew my resulting photos would be great. However, I would only use those specifically on trips in the future. Maybe buying a new EVIL or even the newest Rebel EOS would be the most bang for my buck. If so, any tips to keep it safe on such an adventure?

teddyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:49 PM   #2

an old Leica + a couple rolls of tri x pan ?
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:24 PM   #3

What about the Sigma 18 - 250 mm macro lens.
I have that lens and it is my lens that I take on my backpack trips. I like it because it can do great close up (not true macro, but very close ups) to telephoto in one lens.
I have the canon t2i and I use an OP Tech stabilization strap to carry my camera. I then have my filters and tripod on my backpack, this makes a quick access to the camera without having to fiddle with getting it out of a camera bag.

Most of the pictures on this link are taken with the sigma lens.

You could also purchase one of the many point and shoots that have a very large aperture. Canon has the s120 and the g16 right now, but neither have a large zoom.

If you take your dslr backpacking, I strongly recommend this strap to hold the camera to your body

If you are expecting rain then The Lowepro Top Loader pro 65aw camera bag has a rainfly on it. It is big enough for the camera and the lens with room for extra batteries and filters.
Lowepro also has a chest harness which will secure their to loader bags to you, but you look like a marsupial with the camera bag attached.

Last edited by rainrunner; Feb 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote