Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:05 PM   #1
Default What Is The Best Digital Camera Under $300??

I am looking for a good digital camera to replace my Canon SX230HS I am looking for something under $300 what do yo recommend?? I want to get a Canon S120 but is a little pricey I would love being able to shoot videos at 60fps and decent low light capabilities. Here is what I am looking for in a digital camera

Min of 10x zoom

Shot videos at 60fps I know there might not be a camera that can do this in this price range yet

Decent to good in low light

Good Quality Images
DJboutit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:49 AM   #2

I imagine that the reason for the lack of responses is that there isn't a camera that meets your desired specs. I think the SX280, which is selling for under $200 at one reputable etailer today is slightly better in low light than your SX230. It also records full HD video at 60p. However, to get really better image quality, you would probably need a larger sensor. A camera with a larger sensor with at least 10x zoom is not cheap. I can think of two - The Fuji X-S1 and the Olympus Stylus 1. The X-S1 is selling for $349 at Amazon. The Stylus 1 is well over $600. I like the small sensor Panasonic FZ200 which may be about $400 at a few stores. It has a constant max aperture of F/2.8 for its entire zoom range. Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:07 AM   #3

while one can find a slightly bigger sensor camera with a faster lens for under $400,, and besides, while they have better low light image quality, they have less zoom. i got a compromise camera for my small carryaround - the LF1 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LF1-Digital-Camera/dp/B00CFCTDMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393945492&sr=8-1&keywords=LF1

before it, i had a canon SD4000 (the only elph with full manual control), an SX230 and an SX260 (which did have nicer image quality than the 230), so i was thrilled to have a larger sensor in a small body, even though the 7x zoom isn't quite as much as i'd like. my husband's G15 has slightly better image quality and a faster lens, but the LF1's F/2 lens is still pretty good, and while i love micro 4/3 cameras, the lens on the LF1 makes it truly carryable.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote