Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Default Which DSLR should I get?

I am currently using a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V but I am ready to move to a DSLR. I have been looking at the Canon T3i and the Nikon D3200 but have no idea which to get. I will be using it inside as much as outside, taking pics of my kids and dogs, family vacations, parties, school events and softball games of the kids. I miss a lot of shots with my current camera so I want one that is pretty quick, I guess it is called lag time not sure just a mom who likes to take pics lol. I have a $500 budget and I might could squeeze in another $100 if needed. So would you go with the Canon T3i or the Nikon D3200 or a different camera all together?
scater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:15 PM   #2

A couple thoughts for you. While DSLRs will be faster than what you are used to - they won't be a miracle. For inside work - parties and such - you are still going to need to use a flash. The built-in flashes on DSLRs are only slightly better than digicams - in other words, they're still pretty poor. And there is still quite a lag between shots as the flash recharges. To really get better results you also need an external flash - which runs off it's own batteries. That external flash will also emit a better focus-assist beam (red beam) that helps the camera focus - the lenses that come with DSLRs (kit lenses) are a good value but they're not designed for fast focus in poor light.

For softball games, the equipment needed depends on the field size, where you are shooting from and your expectations. The standard kit lens is far too short for softball. YOu would need a second lens - and again, the lens needed depends on the above questions. But, with only a $500 budget I think you're expectations are going to be unmet.
Again, a DSLR isn't a fantastic point-and-shoot - it's a system. And sometimes it's more about the other things - the external flash or the second lens - where the benefits are realized. Without those, DSLRs have a nasty habit of becoming expensive paper weights.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:18 PM   #3

As JohnG says- a DSLR is part of a system- and quite often,different photographic scenarios require different "add-ons" to be truly effective- with the resulting cost...!!

If you're going to be limited to the standard kit lens only due to budget limitations- I'd go with the Canon,simply because the lens is a bit quicker to focus than the Nikon kit lens...

Perhaps consider Panasonic's FZ200....?
Not a DSLR- but you do get a fast lens,good reach,swift focusing etc and pretty good movie capture also.
I'd suggest it's a far better "all rounder" than what a DSLR with kit lens offers...

Oh- and it's within budget...

P.S- I have a D3100.... yet my Panasonic FZ-150 is a more frequent companion...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:25 PM   #4

Yep - just don't expect the fz200 to take indoor party picks without flash. Although if it has a hot shoe then you can use an external flash on it. A digicam with external flash can get you better results than DSLR without one in certain situations.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:20 AM   #5

I'd go a good low light p&s.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:39 AM   #6

Hi Everyone

I am Dr Kunvar Harsh Upveja from India . I am Amateur in the field of Photography but I am very much fascinated by photographs clicked with good depth of filed(blurred background pics) so I am looking for a SLR camera and at the same time have a very limited budget of Rs 25,000.
1. Either I am thinking of buying Sony Alpha A3000 (18-55 mm lens) DSLR- camera or any other suggestions of SLR which can fit in my pocket ?
2. Should I go for some good Point & shoot camera in this range rather than buying Entry level DSLR ?
3. How far does the body of camera matters in buying DSLR camera ? I mean if I want to upgrade this DSLR using other lenses. it would be possible with good efficiency or this Entry level will remain entry level only ?

Thank you in advance
Kunvarharsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:25 AM   #7

There are lots of ways to get a shallow depth of field in your photos, but the two methods that depend on your gear are a larger sensor and a larger aperture.

A larger sensor increases the DoF, but it also greatly increases the cost of the camera and the lens. I'm not familiar with what kind of gear you can obtain with your "limited budget of Rs 25,000", but I suspect that a camera with what is referred to as a 'Full Frame' sensor, will exceed it, and if not, it will limit your ability to obtain lenses to go with it. Cameras with so-called 'APS-C' size sensors, like the Sony A3000 you referred to, as well as a large number of cameras from Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma and other models from Sony, are almost as capable of doing want you want, and are a lot more affordable. The next step down is the micro4/3 size sensors in cameras from Olympus and Panasonic, which are still capable of producing shallow DoF images, though less so. Below that are all the P&S cameras, some of which can sometimes be coaxed into providing shallow DoF images, without taking too much of a chunk out of your budget, but that coaxing can be tiring and frustrating. It should also be noted that some P&S camera are capable of producing images with shallow DoFs via digital effects and are much more reasonably priced.

The aperture (F-number) of a lens is a way to adjust the DoF in an image, but it should be noted that the apertures typically available with the conventional kit lenses, like the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Standard Zoom Lens that comes with the Sony A3000 you mentioned, isn't particularly good for what you want to do. There are more capable lenses that have larger apertures (numerically smaller f-numbers) that will help you reach your goal, but they add to the cost of your system.

The Sony A3000 you mentioned uses Sony's "E-Mount" lenses, some of which are more capable of what you want, but while the A3000 is quite affordable, the lens are more expensive than equivalent lenses for other cameras (like Sony's own lenses for it's A-Mount cameras.) On the other hand, those others are less likely to, as you say "fit in my pocket".
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:33 AM   #8

when getting a DSLR go and try them see how they feel are the buttons right for you do you like the menu system, if it feels right then thats a long way to being right. don't settle for i will get used to it
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote