Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Default new camera (superzoom, ultracomapact) suggestions

I need suggestions for a superzoom, ultracomapact) new camera. It should be light, small, have good enough resolution for occasional 8 x 10 prints, and viewing on large screen. It should have at least x15 zoom, have relatively qucik between shot times, and wi-fi if possible (although if no wi-fi, I could use an eye-fi card. I have tried canon powershot elph 330, panasonic zs20 (too big and heavy) and sony dscw830 and sony wx-80. all have been lacking in one way or the other. Thanks
mfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:55 PM   #2

in what ways have those cameras been lacking? i'm surprised to hear you found the ZS20 too heavy, as it's very light and small. there's a certain amount of physics involved here.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:31 PM   #3

Thanks. The cheaper sony had a display of not great resolution, the more expensive sony had a poor wifi setup,,at least one of the Sonya only had an 8x or 10x zoom. the canon didn't have a setting for in camera panorama. Easy panorama is also one of my criteria. The Panasonic was bigger and bulkier than the others, and this is for my wife, who wants a small light camera.
mfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:58 PM   #4

G'day MF

If the camera is for your wife - then may I respectfully suggest that you take her to a local camera outlet and let her choose what she wants. It may or may-not have all the bells & whistles that "us techo types" may realise are possible, but if it's for her - let her do the choosing ~ and then let her enjoy the love of photography with her new camera

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:42 PM   #5

Some of this genre will be smaller than others (WX300 anyone....),some will be faster (any of the Panny's...),others might lead the way in IQ (usually the Canon SX range...) and some might have more toys on board.
All of the above and such like have their strengths and weaknesses and I fear all what you ask might involve some compromise somewhere.
I'd agree with Ozzie's point above however... let the wife choose!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote