Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM   #1
Default Replacement digital compact advice needed please

Hello, can somebody please help me choose a replacement for my current camera, a Canon PowerShot A590. Technically, as just an occasional hobbyist, it more or less fulfills my needs with the exception of the video facility at 20 fps. I want a less “chunky” model, I’d like a more “slim line” build. More specifically, what I’m looking for is a model which offers as closely as possible the same facilities as the A590, but with video at 30 fps and if possible HD. I don’t need multi-mega Pixel-count. I also don’t want to pay any more than I did for my current piece…€60. If it helps, the Specs….
So far I’ve been considering another Canon, the A3300…

But with this model I’d lose a lot of manual control of settings. Can anybody help me out here with recommendations of other similarly-priced models please? Obliged
stoppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:17 PM   #2

if you can go up on price, you might consider the panasonic LF1. it has a small viewfinder, full manual controls, good pic and video quality, but it's definitely going to be more than 60. i had an A590 and an A620, and as i recall, they had a slightly larger sensor than today's compacts, and the LF1 has the same size sensor.

sadly as far as i know, you're going to lose manual controls at this budget, and while i can't speak for you, i wasn't happy to do without PASM. if you are willing to do without, you might consider the ELPH line - they're small, sleek and light weight, and while they don't offer manual controls (except for the SD4000), they do a pretty good job with P mode.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote