Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2014, 4:15 PM   #1
Default Best cam for action shots

After literally hours mining the internet in search of a compact point and shoot, I am still going 'round and 'round. Each new prospect turns out to have a fatal flaw! Hope you experienced photophiles can help.
I need to be able to shoot sharp shots of high speed rugby action, with appropriate zoom (8x or better). Decent battery life is very important. The camera must have minimal lag to capture rapidly-developing action. (Burst feature would be nice but probably not required.) As I am multitasking and moving around a lot, the camera needs to fit into a pocket easily. Ruggedness and water resistance a plus. I just need enough image quality for newspaper and internet news submission. I don't give a hang about synching with the smart phone I don't own.
And of course, the bottom line: $150 or less. Unless there is a compelling reason to stretch!

rugbycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2014, 6:31 AM   #2

$150 camera that fits in pocket, has 8x zoom and capable of high quality rugby shots. Does not exist. You would need to jump up to the superzooms - like a Panasonic FZ200. A lot more money and a lot bigger. And, even then don't expect miracles regarding # of keepers.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 9:06 AM   #3

There are two types of AF systems. Contrast Detection AF works well for still subjects and is more accurate, but Phase Detection AF is better for moving subjects. For action shots, you'd be better off with a camera that used Phase detection AF, but that's only available in dSLRs.

There is a compromise, however. Hybrid AF uses both CDAF and PDAF in a single system. You should look for a system with Hybrid AF.

Good luck finding one for less that $150 though.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 10:00 AM   #4

you might find a used canon sx260 for your price. it's not ideal, but it will fit in a jacket pocket (not a tight jeans pocket), has a long zoom, and if you learn to use shutter mode so that your shutter speed is fast enough, and use burst mode for short bursts, it might do most of what you're wanting. whether quality is good enough for news depends on size of pics - and whether you're shooting in daylight, which is optimal, nighttime with some lights, which will probably have some noise, or indoors or nighttime with excellent lighting.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 4:54 PM   #5

Pretty much in tandem with what pcake suggests above- Panasonics TZ30 or 40 is in the same mould- and pretty much the same applies in all regards.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 8:36 PM   #6

I think you need to raise up your budget a little bit
TinaisTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 3:25 AM   #7

The recent Panasonic travel zooms are fast for a compact.I have the TZ40 (ZS30 in the US) and it's a quick shooter.You could also look at the TZ35 (ZS25) wich might be more near your price range. It's also getting good reviews. Both have a 20x zoom and a 10 fps burst mode.

Last edited by rudimaes; May 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote