Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Looking for a camera with wireless connectivity

Hello. Here I am at my favorite camera discussion board once again.

I'll try to make this short.

There's been so many advances in technology. I would really like to find a camera with wireless so that I can just upload images to the

cloud. I now own a Chromebook and hardly ever touch my PC. I used to do a lot of photography, but I just don't shoot as much as I used

to.

I own a Panasonic TZ-5 and a FZ-150. I'm thinking about consolidating and getting a camera with wireless, but I want to see if it's

really worth doing.

I have the TZ-5 mainly as a pocket camera. I wanted something to carry with me at all times (it fits in my day bag) and be able to grab a shot whenever I need to. Sure, I could use my phone (MOTO X) but I'm not going to zoom on a phone.

I got the FZ-150 to do my serious photography. The FZ-150 has more funtions, controls, etc. and gives me more control over my photography experience than the TZ-5.

I don't really have a need for both cameras.

Thoughts?

Thank you
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:02 PM   #2

Many of Sony's mid- to top-end cameras have WiFi built-in.

It's important to understand that WiFi isn't what lets you upload directly to the cloud. WiFi allows you to upload to a device that, separately, has an internet connection, typically through a cellular service. That will allow you to transfer your photos, as you take them, from the camera to an intermediate device, likely a smartphone or tablet, which would then transfer them to the cloud via the device's "data plan" you have with your cell phone carrier.

It's also important to consider the software you can use on your intermediate device. For instance, Sony's PlayMemories Mobile is available for Android and iOS, not (for instance) Windows. (I was disappointed that I couldn't control a Sony QX-100 from my NetBook, for instance.)

Lastly, your device can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time. That is, if your Chromebook is connected to your camera via WiFi, it can't simultaneously be connected to a cellular device or other WiFi network that would give you internet access. From what I can tell, no Chromebook offers connection to a cellular service, so you must constantly switch between connecting to the camera and connecting to your smartphone, tablet, or to another WiFi network for access to the cloud.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:22 PM   #3

I was able to use the QX-100 with my wife's iPad Mini, and liked the combination. But her iPad was not on a cellular network, so I had to keep switching between the WiFi that the camera was on and the WiFi network in my home that provided the iPad with internet access.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:50 PM   #4

Okay. Thank you for the info. My Chromebook does have cellular built-in, but the plan would be too costly, so I don't subscribe.

Any recommendations on what I wrote above?

Would you sell the TZ-5 & FZ-150 just to get something with wireless capabilities or just hold on to it?

Any camera suggestions under $400?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:31 PM   #5

Do you think I would be happy with something like the Sony HX50V? It's a "pocket P & S" but it seems to have so much more.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:39 PM   #6

You could add WiFi to your FZ150 with an Eye-Fi card. That would probably be the simplest thing. Plus, you could use it with your next camera too.

BTW, the Sony HX50V is a fine camera. It doesn't have an eyelevel viewfinder (like your FZ150), which would put me off.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:34 PM   #7

I have the Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) wich has wifi and gps. Also
the ZS40 (TZ60) has both. They are small and fit in a bag.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jun 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
rudimaes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You could add WiFi to your FZ150 with an Eye-Fi card. That would probably be the simplest thing. Plus, you could use it with your next camera too.
I've been eyeing (no pun intended) the Eye-Fi. There's just something that just doesn't rub me the right way about the Eye-Fi. I've been holding off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
I have the Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) wich has wifi and gps. Also
the ZS40 (TZ60) has both. They are small and fit in a bag.
Rudi
Thank you for the information. I really like the Panasonic cameras. One thing that I've wanted to do at times is place the camera on a surface (wall, table, etc.) to get a shot, but then it would be difficult for me to take the actual shot, depending where I am in relation to the camera. The Panasonic cameras (also other makes/models) have the ability for you to use your smartphone to zoom, adjust, and remote shutter. This is something I would look into, however, I would have to sell both the TZ-5 and FZ-150 to have the money for a new camera and I'll have to decide if it's really worth it.

Thank you for the feedback. Feel free to keep it coming.