Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:29 PM   #1
Default Replacing Olympus E600 body, advice needed

I have had an Olympus E600 (four thirds) for the past 4 years or so and have decided that now is a good time to upgrade.

I have a Sigma DC HSM 30mm which I use a lot and don't want to have to sell and replace.

I would like to upgrade the camera body and am looking to spend around 500. However I am struggling to find out some clear information that would tell me what current Olympus cameras are compatible with the Sigma lens.

I've been looking (briefly) at the EM1, EM5 and EM10. These are micro 43, so not sure if the Sigma would fit without an adapter, or if I would need to buy one of those too?

Any advice?

Simonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:55 PM   #2

You would need a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter... though some suggest that 4/3 lens AF performance mounted on "micro" AF a tad slower than their "micro" lenses...
As for a Sigma lens... no idea...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:44 PM   #3

The last 4/3 dSLR is the Olympus E-5, which is all but discontinued. All other currently available Olympus interchangeable lens cameras are mirrorless and use the Micro4/3 lens mount, which will require one of the 4/3 to micro4/3 lens adapters in order for you to continue to use your Sigma lens.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:55 PM   #4

Ask on the Olympus Micro Four Thirds forum for specifics.

Adapting the 4/3 to m4/3 is pretty common, but some lenses can be noticeably slow to autofocus. The new EM1 is designed to work properly with the 4/3 lenses with the same adapter, but that body is about $1500US.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote