Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:12 AM   #1
Default Sony HX50V vs Nikon Coolpix 9700

Hi all,

I am in the market for a camera that is pocketable high zoom camera. Narrowed down to these 2.

I want

1- minimum 20x zoom

2- small size to be able to throw into a purse

3 - reasonable low light performance - for taking pics indoors of the new baby.

I need the zoom - as my last camera samsung wb550 had a 10x - and I found when the kids were in a school presentation, or playing on the other side of the park or I wanted to catch a pic without them noticing, candid shots ... the reach was just not long enough.. Yes I know the rule - if you are too far move closer... but I want more zoom because you can't always move closer. So please don't tell me I don't need the zoom.

I got the cameras - I like both of them... the sony seems like a nicer camera with SOO many features. A little overwhelming

There are 2 things about it that I am not sure about

1 - there is a dial on the top exposure compensation dial - what does that do? Is that for the flash? Someone here suggested I play with that.

2 - The sony by default will not pop up the flash... I need to pop it up if I want to enable the flash.. the Nikon pops it up for me when the camera thinks I need a flash... on the one hand when I was first playing with it, it was annoying, but I am wondering if having to manually decide if to pop up the flash will make me better at taking pics I am starting to realize with the reading I have been doing that most of the time one does not want to use flash .. the pics actually are better. This is where I have a question - if I don't use a flash the iso is higher.. isn't that a bad thing don't we want to shoot at the lowest ISO possible to reduce noise? When I use the flash the iso is down at 80 or 100 or even 200 - without the flash the iso is usually closer to 500 or 800 - the pics look nice to me and the colors are more natural - but I have not printed them out but on the screen they look ok even at the higher iso. Am I misunderstanding ISO?

Thanks in advance.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:50 AM   #2

1. Exposure compensation is there to enable you to adjust the exposure up or down when the camera's automatic exposure does not give you the desired results, such as when your subject is in shadow on a bright day, or on a sunny beach or ski slope. Having the dial available allows you to make the adjustment easily without going through the camera menus. It can help with flash pictures when your subject would be too brightly lit due to the flash being to close.
2. Cameras will tell you when they think flash should be used, usually by a blinking lightning symbol. I like to make my own decisions about whether to use it or not.
ISO settings on small cameras of over 800 or 1600 can look pretty grainy if you look closely, but will often be fine for viewing on computer monitors. If that is how you view the photos, and don't plan to print large sizes, you should be fine.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote